What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rookie Rivet Question

jrock836

Well Known Member
Trying to get ready to put together my new nose fairing for my updated nose wheel fork on my RV12.

I have a CP214 Pneumatic Squeezer and I need to purchase a few sets. My question is about AN470AD4-9 Universal Head rivets. Am I correct that I will need a cupped set for a 1/8" diameter rivet? I need to decide which length of 1/8" set I need, ie. 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 3/8? Is that correct?

For this project the rest of the rivets are all AN426 and AN526 flush rivets, so I will be ordering several flush rivet sets and a dimple die.

Last edited:
Try to get ready to put together my new nose fairing for my updated nose wheel fork on my RV12.

I have a CP214 Pneumatic Squeezer and I need to purchase a few sets. My question is about AN470AD4-9 Universal Head rivets. Am I correct that I will need a cupped set for a 1/8" diameter rivet? I need to decide which length of 1/8" set I need, ie. 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 or 3/8? Is that correct?

For this project the rest of the rivets are all AN426 and AN526 flush rivets, so I will be ordering several flush rivet sets and a dimple die.

Yes. There are many 470ad4-x rivets.

Yes on the 1/8" set.

For the length, if they are too short, you can take up some of the space with washers under the stem on the set. If they are too long, not much you can do other than change to a shorter set or a head with a wider mouth.

It's worth getting the adjustable ram so that you can ignore the shims. 1/4 turn is about .010" on those.

And with the -4 rivets, you can use a short length of small fuel hose from the hardware store over the unset shank. That'll keep the two sheets together and avoid having the rivet spread in between them. The hose expands as the rivet sets, is then removed, and can be reused. Just cut off short pieces, no longer than the exposed shank of the rivet.

Dave

It's worth getting the adjustable ram so that you can ignore the shims. 1/4 turn is about .010" on those.

Dave

Not necessarily, I've found with 470AD3-3's my adjustable ram doesn't get long enough for a proper set.
That is, when set up with the 4" no hole yolk.

Back