What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming Box Foam Lift Surprise

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Hahaha...The title is crafted for future searches :rolleyes:
The post is mainly for future builders so they won't get surprised like I did.

So here's something I didn't see coming. The box that my IO-360 came in is too wide for a shop crane. The crane is from Harbor Freight and not wide enough to allow the engine to be lifted out of the box :(
I'll have to come up with another way to lift it. I'm assuming that lifting the engine other than straight up is verboten.

The other surprise is that foam :eek:
It looks like I'll have to remove most of that nasty stuff to free the engine for lifting.

Attachments

• foam.jpg
    foam.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 335
  • crate.jpg
    crate.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 356
  • lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 324
You can't come in from the corner of the pallet and reach it?

Another option would be to jack up the pallet with a floor jack and set it on blocks so the hoist legs could go under it.

Thanks Mel, using the floor jack and blocking up the pallet worked great.

Attachments

• engine-lift.jpg
    engine-lift.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 367
Aerosport Power engines come on good old fashion pallet & plywood box cover. Also too wide for the engine lift. I just jack one side with some 2x4s to lift over the extended lift legs, hook on the engine loop & lift the engine & pallet onto the legs, easy process. I store the pallet/engine on a cut down Vans crate that will slide between the lift legs.
I assume similar can be done with the Lycoming box.

Engine crate

Congratulations!
Yep! Fun. That's how I did as well. Lifted the crate enough to get the crane underneath.
That and an hour pulling chucks of foam. What's really funnynisnit says to keeo the foam cradle for reuse!

Don't trust that Harbor Fright lift. I went through two if their hydraulic rams. Neither would hold position more than a few hours. Yes, that's plenty of time to move stuff, but if your hoping that engine will be hangjng in the same place come morning, don’t count on it.
I finally added fluid, fixed the flaky valve seal and bled the cylinder and it only drops an inch or so in 12 hours. Put your engine on blocks on a big sturdy bench and leave the hoist attached just in case.
Shoot me a PM or check my blog for tips on hanging it. Took me maybe 30 min solo.

I too lifted it up enough to get the legs underneath.

My harbor freight lift was clearly labeled wrong.
Wish I could figure out how to make a lift with 2 Ton
Capability at the longest arm/boom position.
I’d be rich!!

Attachments

• 89C04478-0B26-4D9C-8657-ADD1342AD842.jpg
    89C04478-0B26-4D9C-8657-ADD1342AD842.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Adjust extension legs

I shortened the extension legs just enough to put the lift chain over the engine. Lifted the engine enough to pull the pallet clear and set the engine down on a couple of 2x4's, then you can adjust either or both the boom length and/or the extension legs for your conditions.

Hoist mod

hoistMod.jpg

Made an extension for my hoist. 2 in stock, 3/16 wall, 30 in long.
used it for a truck engine swap, worked well, put a little ballast (me) on back for good measure.

You can't come in from the corner of the pallet and reach it?

Another option would be to jack up the pallet with a floor jack and set it on blocks so the hoist legs could go under it.

No that's a great example of thinking outside the box!

sorry, couldn't resist :D

Congratulations!
Yep! Fun. That's how I did as well. Lifted the crate enough to get the crane underneath.
That and an hour pulling chucks of foam. What's really funnynisnit says to keeo the foam cradle for reuse!

Don't trust that Harbor Fright lift. I went through two if their hydraulic rams. Neither would hold position more than a few hours. Yes, that's plenty of time to move stuff, but if your hoping that engine will be hangjng in the same place come morning, don’t count on it.
I finally added fluid, fixed the flaky valve seal and bled the cylinder and it only drops an inch or so in 12 hours. Put your engine on blocks on a big sturdy bench and leave the hoist attached just in case.
Shoot me a PM or check my blog for tips on hanging it. Took me maybe 30 min solo.

When my engine came the lower part of the foam was separate, making a very handy cradle to rest the engine on. Doesn't look like Mikes foam is constructed the same way. Another solution I've been told of, but never tried, is that an old tire makes a great place to rest an engine.

When my engine came the lower part of the foam was separate, making a very handy cradle to rest the engine on. Doesn't look like Mikes foam is constructed the same way. Another solution I've been told of, but never tried, is that an old tire makes a great place to rest an engine.

It does. When I bought my Lycoming for my first RV-6, I transported it from ASOD to home in the back of my pick-up on an old tire.

Back