What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin unit removal from tray problem

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
My Garmin panel units have been in their trays for at least the last 9 months, and during the install in and out multiple times.

For the GTN650, the comm 200, and the audio panel >>

I needed to pull them out to record their serial numbers - can't find all of the paperwork. The audio panel came out - no problem.

Both the 650 and the 200 only pulled out about 3/4" and then both are hanging up on something, apparently within their trays.

Am I holding my tongue wrong? First I thought that I needed to disconnect the antenna cables - nope, those and the harness connect plugs connect onto the back of the tray connector interface. Has to be something within the tray that is catching and I can't see how I can dislodge something like that.

Or is it something else?

cam nut is disengaged

The cam nut mounting screw is completely disengaged - both units pull out about 3/4" in their trays from their pulled tight position.

Double lock

The cam lock is a double lock,
The first disengages and pulls out 1/4". keep turning and the second one will come out.

Lastly, if your panel is not relieved in the middle for the stub to clear, the cam will hang up on the panel. Try lifting the unit away from the bottom of the panel, (UP) and it might pop out.

For my GNC255, I had to file a small notch in the center of the panel at the bottom for the cam to clear.

You can see the slots and the relief in the picture

Attachments

• DFC68F9F-FB91-4B13-B617-C87B1FF8D213.jpg
    DFC68F9F-FB91-4B13-B617-C87B1FF8D213.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Jeff
Hold the cam screw to the left while pulling the unit out. It worked for me

Tim

ll I can do is keep wiggling

no joy yet.

BOTH UNITS PULL OUT 3/4" WELL CLEAR OF THE SCREW CONNECT AT THE BACK - THE GTN650 AND THE COMM 200 BOTH ARE HELD IN BY A SINGLE HEX SCREW - NOT THE CAM TYPE LIKE THE AUTO PILOT. Both have been in and out at least a half dozen times months ago. I guess the wind shifted.

I'll try lefty and then righty and back to the left to see if it releases.

no joy yet.

BOTH UNITS PULL OUT 3/4" WELL CLEAR OF THE SCREW CONNECT AT THE BACK - THE GTN650 AND THE COMM 200 BOTH ARE HELD IN BY A SINGLE HEX SCREW - NOT THE CAM TYPE LIKE THE AUTO PILOT. Both have been in and out at least a half dozen times months ago. I guess the wind shifted.

I'll try lefty and then righty and back to the left to see if it releases.

I am not talking about the autopilot in my above discussion, i am talking about the GTN and radio’s mounting feature.

Neither the comm 200 or the GTN 650 use cam locks to pull them in to the trays - they are both held in with one hex head screw that goes into the rear of their tray. The auto pilot control has two cam locks - one on the left and one on the right. Can't get the comm and the 650 to come out farther than 3/4" after the screw locks are completely free.

Is it possible screws holding the tray on the sides may have come loose enough to interfere with removal? I’ve had that happen to me.

Neither the comm 200 or the GTN 650 use cam locks to pull them in to the trays - they are both held in with one hex head screw that goes into the rear of their tray. The auto pilot control has two cam locks - one on the left and one on the right. Can't get the comm and the 650 to come out farther than 3/4" after the screw locks are completely free.

Jeff,

The Garmin GMA 240/245 audio panels do indeed have a long screw that goes through the unit and threads into the backplate. Very simple and easy to use.

Both the GTR 200 and the GTN 650 do not use this type of retention mechanism, and instead use a pawl latch in combination with a slot in the mounting rack.

Here is a picture showing the pawl latch on the bottom of the GTR 200.

GTR200PawlLatch.png

Here is a picture from the manual showing the bottom of the mounting rack. The area circled in red is the cutout for the pawl latch. The rear pawl latch rotates down and engages within the small rectangular cutout when you tighten the pawl latch.

GTR200RackBottom.png

To remove the unit, first loosen the threaded rod which holds the rear pawl tight against the front of the rectangular cutout in the mounting rack by turning it counter-clockwise with your 3/32" tool.

Once the rear pawl latch is free from the rack, it will rotate 90 degs up so it can no longer engage with the slot in the mount.

At the same time the rear pawl latch rotates 90 degs up away from the rack, the front pawl latch rotates 90 degs down. If you continue to rotate the screw counter-clockwise that goes through the pawl latch (this is optional), the front pawl will push against the front side of the mounting rack slot and push the unit free from the connectors in the back of the rack.

At this point, as long as the rear pawl latch is held slightly counter-clockwise with your 3/32" removal tool (so it doesn't drop back into the rack slot hole), you can pull the unit from the rack.

Perhaps given this description and pictures will make it easier to understand and use the pawl latch as it was meant to be used.

Steve

thank you all

Longez > My bad!
I was certain that the 200 did not have the cam. I'll get back into it and see if that does the trick.

rvdave >
I had considered that a screw may have worked its way loose and was causing the problem. If you experienced that, how did you find/fix it?

The GTN uses a very clever mechanism to pull it in and push it out the rack, the hex screw must be turned all the way to left to push the unit out of the rack and release it, at that point you pull it out. Once you have it out and see how it works it becomes clear.

Last edited:
thank you all

Longez > My bad!
I was certain that the GTR200 and the GTN650 did not have the cam type lock. I'll get back into it and see if that does the trick. And, the GTN650 still doesn't want to pull free-I am sure that the cam lock is disengaged, the unit pulls out about 1 1/8" and then is catching on something and as much as I carefully wiggle and joggle the unit it won't come free. I'm careful not to pull too hard but I'm pulling hard enough that it ought to come out-???

rvdave >
I had considered that a screw may have worked its way loose and was causing the problem. If you experienced that, how did you find/fix it?

Longez > My bad!
And, the GTN650 still doesn't want to pull free-I am sure that the cam lock is disengaged, the unit pulls out about 1 1/8" and then is catching on something and as much as I carefully wiggle and joggle the unit it won't come free. I'm careful not to pull too hard but I'm pulling hard enough that it ought to come out-???

Hi Jeff,

You might get a good flashlight and look under the GTN 650 while lifting on the unit to see if the pawl latch is striking the instrument panel.

It should not be doing that since the engagement section of the rack is slightly raised above the panel cutout, but perhaps your rack is riding a little low in the panel cutout.

Here is a picture of the latch cutout in the bottom of the rack so you can see what you are working with.

GTN650MountingRack.png

And the removal instructions from the install manual:

To remove the unit from the rack, insert the hex drive tool into the access hole on the unit face. Rotate counterclockwise until the unit is forced out about 3/8" and the hex drive tool completely stops. This will allow the unit to be freely pulled from the rack.

Be sure not to over tighten the unit into the rack. The application of hex drive tool torque exceeding 15 in-lbs can damage the locking mechanism.​

Steve

Last edited:
Got it out!

Longez >
" . . . rack is slightly raised above the panel cutout, but perhaps your rack is riding a little low in the panel cutout."

That was it. The paw that hangs down on the pivoting latch arm was catching on the lower part of the panel cutout. Fashioned a 'slim jim' from a piece of thin steel strapping band and slid it under the paw to let it slide over the edge of the panel cutout. Out it slid.

Probably going to cut the narrow piece of the panel face that runs across the bottom side of the 650 tray, can't see it anyway - won't know it was there or that it is gone.

Hi Jeff,

Glad you were able to remove these units and figure out how to improve the installation to make it easier next time.

Steve

Back