What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

micro vortex on tail

TomSpencer46

From what I have found vortex generators do not do much on the RV-10 wing. I am getting ready to paint mine and am wondering if they would help on the bottom of the horizontal to help with the running out of elevator in the flare when lightly loaded.

Where is your CG when lightly loaded?

With an EarthX battery up front and the Hartzell BA prop, with just me on board (155#) I am just aft of the forward CG limit.

I don't run out of elevator, but it's more of a pull to get full aft stick / full stall landing. I've tested stalls at altitude in this configuration and I don't run out of elevator before the plane stalls.

Where is your CG when lightly loaded?

With an EarthX battery up front and the Hartzell BA prop, with just me on board (155#) I am just aft of the forward CG limit.

I don't run out of elevator, but it's more of a pull to get full aft stick / full stall landing. I've tested stalls at altitude in this configuration and I don't run out of elevator before the plane stalls.

With 30 #of fuel and 170# pilot I am at 106.5 to far forward. I will weigh the aircraft and recompute after painting.

Back