What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best way to protect windows during build

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am finally getting around to getting the windows installed in my RV-10 build. Right now they are all taped up waiting for the Silpruf to cure.

I am trying to figure out how to protect them from scratches, etc during the rest of the build. I don't want to leave the masking tape on as I'm afraid of it leaving a sticky residue if it's left on for several months.

I've thought of using some plastic to cover them, but don't know what the best tape would be to leave the least amount of residue when removed 6-12 months later..... any suggestions?

I used heavy 10 mil poly plastic when I built my RV-10. I left the factory covering on until the windows were fit and trimmed. I then removed that and marked the bonding areas out and edged the lines with a couple inch wide widths of 3/4" electrical tape. I cut out the poly plastic to fit about 1" short of the tape edge line. That was then taped down using Gorilla tape. That does not curve well like the electrical tape so around the corners I just cut short pieces and cut the curves in the Gorilla tape as I went around the corners. I did a couple layers of the Gorilla tape to give a nice edge for when I glassed over the joint. I then covered the poly completely with the Gorilla tape to protect the transparencies. That stuff will take a beating. The double layer of Gorilla tape at the edges allow you to finish sand the joint after window installation without going through it. I left it in place until I was done with paint. The electrical tape will remove cleanly leaving no residue when you are done with the build.

I've been using Costco 12" wide Stretch-tite saran wrap. Cleaned the glass with Plexus first, then wrapped the glass with the cling-wrap. Seems to be working well.

I read somewhere recently (here or Matronics?) about a guy who replaced the windscreen in his -10, only to find out after completing the process that the new window was defective and had some waviness. Had to do it all over again.

I filed that away, before I do the canopy on the -8 I am going to peel everything off and check that thing over!

Definitely interested in the best way to protect stuff for the rest of the time...

Back