What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trouble with slick start / sure fire

dannp

How many others are having/ have had problems with their slick start / sure fire modules on Lycoming IO-540s with a retard breaker magneto and one slick mag?

I’ve seen three fail in the last few months; two were mine and one from a fellow RV-10 owner in Phoenix. I know many have electronic ignition but I assume some significant percent of RV-10 owners still have this setup and I am curious as to the prevalence of this problem.

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
After the units fail, the engine ceases to fire at all with the starter engaged and sometimes starts once the key is released i.e. the engine is using the advanced timing to start.

I have never seen a slick start failure, however I have seen the retard breaker/starting points fail in a 6393 magneto. Symptoms were consistent with your description.

FYI I have also seen the starting points and SS unit start just fine but the main points failed. When you do a mag check the 6393(retard breaker) mag is dead, and yet it will start the engine very well. This one is a bit tricky to figure out at first.

Back