What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

14 Exhaust

kmbusse

An FYI for anyone thinking about ordering their firewall forward kit. We ordered ours at the end of February with the exhaust backordered. Was told today it will be another 30 to 60 days.
Sorry. Just needed to vent a little.

Have you thought about the vetterman option ?
Very well made and fits perfectly and was cheaper than the credit I got from vans for deleting exhaust kit.
There are some extra bits I needed but price will work out roughly the same I would think but I gave up counting the cost ages ago 😂
Was good service and don?t recall a huge delay
Regards
Stewy

Stu - what extra bits did you need to install the Vetterman system? I just ordered mine...guess I should get those moving.

I installed a Vetterman exhaust on my Superior XP400 as the Van?s crossover exhaust didn?t fit with the Superior cold air sump. The exhaust was cheaper than the Vans (deleted). However, a number of changes were/are required. The Vetterman exhaust is a trombone design 2 x 2-to-1 vs 4 in 1. With 2? pipes, they are too tight for the tunnel so route out from the cowl bottom (below the nose gear pivot) - more like the RV7, etc. Heat muffs are also different but this allowed 2 muffs capturing from all 4 cylinders. With the tunnel open, more cooling air (and of course not optimism for drag) for really cool cylinder temps. Control cables are also different - I used the open space below the sump - requiring some new brackets but I was able to run the mixture cable on a direct basis eliminating Van?s ?wobble mechanism?.

I moved all this over to the Lycoming - same install. Very happy with it overall.

Hi Bart
It was only the scat tubing etc that I deleted from the whole kit and minor parts etc nothing of any great expenses etc but it all adds up in the end and I had to have it shipped to Australia seperatly from the Vans kit so didnt really save anything but I went with Vetterman as I wanted the Pipes out of the tunnel as I installed and Aerolab Gascolator in there instead of having the filter in the rear of the Boost pump
Regards
Stewy

Aerolab Gascolator

Hi Bart
I went with Vetterman as I wanted the Pipes out of the tunnel as I installed and Aerolab Gascolator in there instead of having the filter in the rear of the Boost pump
Regards
Stewy

Stu,
Would you have any pictures of how you installed/plumbed the Aerolab Gascolator? I am in Canada and we are requires to install the Gascolator. Thx.

You can send me a PM or email to ivankris10 at gmail dot com

Stu,
Would you have any pictures of how you installed/plumbed the Aerolab Gascolator? I am in Canada and we are requires to install the Gascolator. Thx.

You can send me a PM or email to ivankris10 at gmail dot com

Hi Ivan,

I looked at putting it in the tunnel as I am going with the Vettermans exhaust however found that the tunnel was not the lowest point in the fuel system as the tunnel slopes up from the fuselage bottom. I think the only solution is to go with two and put them in the wing roots. I do have a few pictures of another build I could send you. I am going with the Aerolab flush mounts.

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

Exhaust

Spoke to Vetterman, Clint said they would be making exhaust for new 390 version
Dave

Hi Ivan,

I looked at putting it in the tunnel as I am going with the Vettermans exhaust however found that the tunnel was not the lowest point in the fuel system as the tunnel slopes up from the fuselage bottom. I think the only solution is to go with two and put them in the wing roots. I do have a few pictures of another build I could send you. I am going with the Aerolab flush mounts.

https://www.flyboyaccessories.com/product-p/72rr02.htm

I have been looking at that option of putting one in each wing root. However, I have been told that there should be a filter down stream from the fuel pump in case it was to make metal. I guess that could be an in-line filter north of the firewall??

Back