What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

control locks

But does not lock the rudder....

I'd like a control lock that also locks the rudder, elevator and ailerons.

Dave

Here's a link for Pic to some rudder locks I made for my RV9 . It uses compression springs from the aviation aisle at ACE. The seat belt usually works for the elevator and ailerons for me , but I did have intentions of incorporating them into the rudder lock mech, just never did.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/L48ZbqQWgtSdP6JfA

I haven't installed this yet, but it is sitting on my bench ready to get put in. Looks pretty simple - just a couple of bolts on the underside of the panel.

Mine is for the RV-10 but I think this would work for any RV with a center stick.

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=DAS-CL100

This is what I use - works well, lightweight, and easily installed. For the rudder just a bungee (tight) around the stick to the pedals.

I've seen solutions that are applied outside on the control surfaces - I would undoubtedly forget them initially and have to exit the aircraft to collect them after doing a control check.

What I Did On My -3

The attached pics are for ailerons/elevators & a 2-piece, 1" web strap (velcro overlap closure), with insulated, spring type laboratory clamps on each end, for the rudder. The cross "brace" is to stabilize the aileron movement in a high wind environment - not always used.

The web straps "clamp" onto the rudder cables at the seat bulkhead, and then go forward and wrap around the stick, then velcroed after "snugging" them together.

The lab clamps (McMaster P/N 5164A41) can be adjusted tightly enough to secure the rudder cables against the bulkhead.

HFS

Attachments

• RV3 Control Lock .jpg
    RV3 Control Lock .jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 192
  • RV-3 Aileron:Elevator Control Lock.jpg
    RV-3 Aileron:Elevator Control Lock.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Rudder Cable Spring Clamp.jpg
    Rudder Cable Spring Clamp.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 159
Back