What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO-360-M1B Second Heat Muff

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
So this is part of the experimenting in experimental aviation.

Last year I ordered and received my exhaust system directly from Vetterman Exhaust. When talking to Clint about my engine, a IO-360-MIB, he said a second heat muff was not available due to the the M1B configuration.

BUT, it so happened he was working on a prototype second heat muff and did I want to give it a try. Heck yes I wanted to give it a try. I live at over 4000' in Joseph, Oregon and I'll take all the heat I can get.

Well, I'm finally installing the exhaust and the second heat muff is in place. The exact way to connect the two muff outlets hasn't been figured out yet but here's some photos anyway.

AND yes, that is what you think it is on the # 4 exhaust bend :eek:

EDIT: PS- how does one free up the ball joints on these exhaust? It's my understanding they should have some movement...mine are as tight as a drum.

Attachments

• muff1.jpg
    muff1.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 311
  • muff2.jpg
    muff2.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Hi Michael, very imaginative as far as heat muffs go !!!
I have the Vetterman Trombone with 1 muff.
Flying last winter in Quebec at down to -15C without sun was ok in the cockpit but not as warm as in a car. Probably around 5 to 10C.
Needed a light jacket and thin gloves.

I used Silver anti-seize paste on the ball joints.
Good luck with your heat tests

Last edited:
So this is part of the experimenting in experimental aviation.

Last year I ordered and received my exhaust system directly from Vetterman Exhaust. When talking to Clint about my engine, a IO-360-MIB, he said a second heat muff was not available due to the the M1B configuration.

BUT, it so happened he was working on a prototype second heat muff and did I want to give it a try. Heck yes I wanted to give it a try. I live at over 4000' in Joseph, Oregon and I'll take all the heat I can get.

Well, I'm finally installing the exhaust and the second heat muff is in place. The exact way to connect the two muff outlets hasn't been figured out yet but here's some photos anyway.

AND yes, that is what you think it is on the # 4 exhaust bend :eek:

EDIT: PS- how does one free up the ball joints on these exhaust? It's my understanding they should have some movement...mine are as tight as a drum.

That's pretty creative! I also use two heat-muffs. I have a 4 into 2 Vettermans crossover exhaust on my RV8, and I put one muff on each of the two exhausts just aft the ball joint. My second muff is a Turboheat and then I connected them in series with scat tubing. It was a big improvement from the original one-muff system.

I usually put a little mouse milk on the exhaust joints. Vetterman recommends it be applied to all slip joints and ball joints every time the cowl is removed.

That's pretty creative! I also use two heat-muffs. I have a 4 into 2 Vettermans crossover exhaust on my RV8, and I put one muff on each of the two exhausts just aft the ball joint. My second muff is a Turboheat and then I connected them in series with scat tubing. It was a big improvement from the original one-muff system.

I usually put a little mouse milk on the exhaust joints. Vetterman recommends it be applied to all slip joints and ball joints every time the cowl is removed.

Yes, pretty creative...This was all Clint's idea at Vetterman Exhaust...If it works out he may produce these for sale.

On the ball joints...my new ones show no signs of moving. Apply some mouse milk (on the way) and work them until they move??

On the ball joints...my new ones show no signs of moving. Apply some mouse milk (on the way) and work them until they move??

Have you removed the three bolts/springs from the ball joint flange and are they still frozen? Is so, apply the mouse milk and let it sit overnight and it should fee them up. Mine have never been that stubborn.

Have you removed the three bolts/springs from the ball joint flange and are they still frozen? Is so, apply the mouse milk and let it sit overnight and it should fee them up. Mine have never been that stubborn.

Yes, bolt removed.

To tell the truth, I thought the ball joints were welded until I read a little further.

It looks like the exhaust needs to come off. I hate to put pressure on the exhaust flanges as I wrestle the ball joint free.

Anyone care to elaborate on the purpose of the ball joints other than to point the exhaust exit where you want it? Mine were quite stiff from the get go. I still lube them up with mouse milk every chance I get but they are still stiff.

Back