What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

is this normal 7 Horizontal stab front spar

swift12

Well Known Member
Hi. Building the horizontal stab front spar.

small gaps either side of the bends between the 714/710 and 702. will these pull up when riveted?...it seems that the hs0001 parts both have small bends each side of the factory bends across the length of the part which doesnt help the problem. maybe its because the 710/714 parts are thicker so even though i was very careful to get the bends in the right place i think their radius is more gentle than the 702 and hs0001 parts. the 702 bend sits hard on the 710/714 bends with the small gap either side. all parts are 6 degrees. anyone else looked this closely or seen this?
all ok? I cant see how i could rectify it without mucking around with the 710/714 bends and possibly making a mess.

build on and trust the rivets will pull them together? the pic shows a small gap on the left side of the bend...hard to photo...all four joints look the same...cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_3929 2.jpg
    IMG_3929 2.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:
Looks like you know what’s going on, but not sure how to fix it, I agree the bends in the 710/714 are too gentle. Did you bend them with your thumbs? I would radius some pieces of hardwood, and resend the angles clamped in a vise between wood jaws.

Definitely done in my mill vice between soft Aliuminium jaws with a 1/8” radius on the end. Held the outside bit in the soft jaws and bent by pulling the angled piece toward me.

I wouldn't count on the rivets to pull the parts together if they don't already fit nicely before riveting, at least in the areas that mate together where the rivets go through and there should not be any gaps. It may be that the factory bends have caused a little kick up in the web and if you can round over the inboard end edges slightly by filing then the gap may reduce. It's a bit hard from the picture to see what is causing the parts to be not completely flush.

I wouldn't count on the rivets to pull the parts together if they don't already fit nicely before riveting, at least in the areas that mate together where the rivets go through and there should not be any gaps. It may be that the factory bends have caused a little kick up in the web and if you can round over the inboard end edges slightly by filing then the gap may reduce. It's a bit hard from the picture to see what is causing the parts to be not completely flush.

May a couple of things Paul.

I initially used wood blocks on the bend line. If you put a ruler up to the bend line it curves up into the bend line probably meaning it has more than 1/8” bend radius. Maybe the wood was a bit soft. Coupled with the factory bend and punching of the hs0001 pieces which has the outer part of the bend contacting the middle of the bend in 710 and 714 parts. This creates the gap. You can only see the gap if you hold it to the light and on exactly the right angle.
I’m not keen to keep bending on the parts. Maybe try again unless anyone thinks this is normal.:confused:

I agree to not overdo re-bending of the parts since that can cause work hardening and metal fatigue. I think you are probably already OK "as is", provided there is not a gap between the parts precisely where the rivets are located. The small gap at the end is unlikely to be of any real significance.

gap

Hmm yes I see what you mean. I don't think it is advisable to attach the ribs with that gap. Worst case is you may need to re-make HS-710/714 with the bend lines a bit more toward the centre line. I don't know how else to get rid of the gap because both parts HS-710/714 and HS-702 are more or less rigid. It looks like you have the relief holes as required at the bend in HS-702.

I've often wondered that the slight mismatch in angles between the HS-710/HS-714 and the HS-702 web is partly what led to the cracking at the relief cuts in the HS-702 web.

Follow the prior responders advice -- rework the bends in the HS-710/714 and HS-702 to eliminate that gap.

Hmm yes I see what you mean. I don't think it is advisable to attach the ribs with that gap. Worst case is you may need to re-make HS-710/714 with the bend lines a bit more toward the centre line. I don't know how else to get rid of the gap because both parts HS-710/714 and HS-702 are more or less rigid. It looks like you have the relief holes as required at the bend in HS-702.

Yes the relief holes are as per the plan…moving the bend inwards I don’t believe will help….the gap is seen both sides. Imagine looking side on at hs0001 and hs702 and their bends match in nicely but 702 touches right on the middle of the bend of 710/714 with a tiny gap either side just out of the bend. I imagine with what I have seen on utube some bending 710/714 between blocks of MDF (soft) and the factory bend of hs0001 I’m probably not the only one with this issue….maybe the only one that has looked this closely?

Getting the hs0001 flatter to the apex of its bend especially on the side of the punched hole would help….and having a more pronounced (sharper) radius in 710/714 would help. I would not bend those around just replace them or alternatively set them up in the vice with an Ali backing and a hardwood block ……hold the end and hit the block against the Ali close to the bend…..see if I could relieve a tiny bit of that curve just outboard of the bend line……I doubt that would work harden it…..thoughts?:confused:

Mine is an older kit and I did not have that issue because all cuts, bends and holes need to be done by the builder from raw stock. It's more work, but there is wiggle room to get the parts to fit.

You should be able to tweak the bends without work hardening if the amount of re-bending is limited, also because the total displacement is only 6 degrees. Just make sure to maintain minimum bend radius 1/8" and no marring of the parts.

What does it look like if you put a couple of small C clamps either side of the bend line? That should help to confirm what adjustments need to be made.

Thanks Paul.

I think its the HS0001 pieces. They definitely have a reflex in the bend area and for the thickness man those bits are strong....I cant pull the gap down with an Irwin grip clamp. its a little bit of this and a little bit of that all contributing and now makes me wonder if I need to tweak those hs0001 pieces.

Hi. Building the horizontal stab front spar.

small gaps either side of the bends between the 714/710 and 702. will these pull up when riveted?...it seems that the hs0001 parts both have small bends each side of the factory bends across the length of the part which doesnt help the problem. maybe its because the 710/714 parts are thicker so even though i was very careful to get the bends in the right place i think their radius is more gentle than the 702 and hs0001 parts. the 702 bend sits hard on the 710/714 bends with the small gap either side. all parts are 6 degrees. anyone else looked this closely or seen this?
all ok? I cant see how i could rectify it without mucking around with the 710/714 bends and possibly making a mess.

build on and trust the rivets will pull them together? the pic shows a small gap on the left side of the bend...hard to photo...all four joints look the same...cheers.

I can't tell you how to fix it, but I would say that relying on the rivets to "pull it together" is not a sound construction method. Parts need to fit properly *before* being riveted. Redo the bends, remake the part, whatever, but this is the empennage, and a failure here could end in a very bad day. There will be lots and lots of little issues like this on the rest of the build, so you might as well get used to sorting them out properly now.

Not being critical, just advising on "build mentality". And if you're concerned about it now, are you going to be less concerned barreling along at 170 knots later?

I'd start by carefully measuring all the parts and comparing to the plans to see where things went wrong. A call to Van's (and better pictures) might also help. Also, check for absolute flatness of parts...a lot of them come from the stamping process with a slight curve that needs to be removed (forcefully for thicker parts).

Last edited:
I can't tell you how to fix it, but I would say that relying on the rivets to "pull it together" is not a sound construction method. Parts need to fit properly *before* being riveted. Redo the bends, remake the part, whatever, but this is the empennage, and a failure here could end in a very bad day. There will be lots and lots of little issues like this on the rest of the build, so you might as well get used to sorting them out properly now.

Not being critical, just advising on "build mentality". And if you're concerned about it now, are you going to be less concerned barreling along at 170 knots later?

I'd start by carefully measuring all the parts and comparing to the plans to see where things went wrong. A call to Van's (and better pictures) might also help. Also, check for absolute flatness of parts...a lot of them come from the stamping process with a slight curve that needs to be removed (forcefully for thicker parts).

Agreed. Vans says looks fine but I’m going to rework it. If it’s not easy I’ll buy new parts. Hs0001 does have stamp curves and for a thin bit of metal it’s **** tough and springy. It’s just the worst of the curve is concave immediately behind the bend. I have to flatten each side without creasing anything. One thing I’d have to say is that I bet mine is not the only one and there will be many like this just not either seen checked or worried about. As above possibly one of the reasons cracks have happened in hs702? There is no way everyone out there has got these bends all perfect I’d imagine. So I’ll fiddle with it and post results. Cheers.

So I got it a lot better. I think the bend radius of the hs710/714 pieces was one of the issues. Also I might have bent slightly outside of the bend. I made a solid ali former with a 3mm radius. Ran it up to the bend line and there was a small gap close to the bend. I used a hardwood block and gave each one a blow which helped. It appears the bend radius are tighter on 702 and hs0001. Also hs0001 we’re both at 6.8 degrees from the factory so I eased those back to 6 degrees. No matter how hard I try they don’t nest perfectly all the way to the bend but do appear to pull in very close which I believe riveting will fix. I resisted unbending and rebending….just tweaking here and there.

Attachments

• 4C189D31-1F16-4ED5-AF5E-DCACC3762290.jpg
    4C189D31-1F16-4ED5-AF5E-DCACC3762290.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 152
  • 5481D29E-AF0B-4590-9ED8-CE68142762B5.jpg
    5481D29E-AF0B-4590-9ED8-CE68142762B5.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 141
  • C6C7C9E5-4185-4916-9833-06729467835F.jpg
    C6C7C9E5-4185-4916-9833-06729467835F.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Looks better! Try pulling them in with those wing nut clecoes if you have some while you rivet.. that may help keep everything tight!

side question

Looks great (nice catch). I am ready to bend these now, can you post a pic of the form you made?

Thanks,
Pip

Last edited:
Looks great (nice catch). I am ready to bend these now, can you post a pic of the form you made?

Thanks,
Pip

I only made the former (straight ali piece with a 1/8" radius on the end and held in vice) to try and take some curve out of the 710 and 714.

what id suggest is this if i were doing it again.

Make a 6 degree ali template with a 1/8" radius or put the 6 degree lines on your bench. bolt a block to the bench on one line...clamp another block to it...sit the L shape of the 710/714 on the bench...bend it to the 6 degree line...(have to go just a little past for spring back)
definitely dont use anything other than hardwood or aluminium to clamp the parts while bending and the main thing is get the bend in the right place...so the middle of the radius need to be in the middle of the bend.

The check those striffener parts as mine were over 6 degrees from the factory.

when you fabricate the 702 parts and you flatten the flange out it leaves those bits not perfectly flat....so work on that area....i found they will hold up the stiffeners slightly....I filed a few small areas flat but not near the rivet hole.

good luck i have spent far too much time on this part because my bends were not perfect at the start and i think needed to be very slightly further inboard. i bent in the right place but the wood i used was pine and i think crushed slightly leaving more of a curve than a nice 1/8" radius.

If it were not all match drilled id be replacing the parts and trying again. I figure I have not work hardened the 710/714 parts as i have not bent and re bent them...just a little tweaking....and a lot of HS's out there wont even have the stiffeners so i imagine strong enough.

Back