What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire prices and Tire age?

ClayR_9A

Well Known Member
Patron
I thought it would be a good idea to change out the tires on my 9A since I last installed them in 2011 (11 years old) and unfortunately haven't flown enough in that time to wear them out.

There's some cracking on my nose tire, but the mains look pretty good. How long should Aircraft tires last? (hangered indoors, but in Texas heat)

These manuals don't seem to say you need to replace them simply due to age, and unless the cracking shows the cords, that's OK!

https://www.bridgestone.com/products/aircraft/candm/care_win05.html

https://aircraft.michelin.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2021/05/CSM_RevF_June2021.pdf

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/aviation-tire-care-2020.pdf

I was shocked to see the prices of Tires and tubes now.
$105 for a 5.00x5 and $65 for the tube (from Vans)
$49 for a 4.00x5 and $16 for the tube.

I found a post from 2011 mentioning a nosewheel for $21 for the tube for $10!

Tubes as much or more than tires

Michelin Air Stop tubes are now $156 on Desser. I use nothing but Air Stops and replace them at every tire change.

It hurts the wallet for a little while but I have never had a flat tire (knock on wood). I also check tire pressure every 2 months. If I’m being really lazy, 3 months.

Tires do not have a pre-determined life. Change them based on condition. If they are worn or exhibiting signs of drying out, change them. If they look OK then keep flying. :) Sounds like you need to change your nose and keep using your mains.

Auto tires are generally life-limited to 6-7 years, after which they should be replaced regardless of tread.

I don't know why aircraft tires would be any different.

Not hijacking the thread but I have 2 brand-new in the package Michelin airstoppers and 2 air hawk tires. if anyone is interested send me a DM

I recall years ago Aviation Consumer did a study of aircraft tires. They found back then that the more expensive brands had a rubber chemistry that could tolerate environmental factors (ozone, UV light) which led to rubber checking and cracking better than low cost tires. Their recommendation was that operations with a high number of landings per year (e.g., flight schools) were better off with cheap tires - they’d be worn out before they ‘aged out’. But most GA pilots flying 100 hrs/yr, with far fewer landings than flight schools, were better off with more expensive tires, because they would last much longer before either ‘wearing out’ or ‘aging out’.

Last edited:
Auto tires are generally life-limited to 6-7 years, after which they should be replaced regardless of tread.

I don't know why aircraft tires would be any different.

Many things in the USA has a shelf life including vinegar.
Are they all logic driven or business driven?!?!?!?

I replace tires when they are worn out and/or exhibit signs of being unsafe, especially on my cars.

Many things in the USA has a shelf life including vinegar.
Are they all logic driven or business driven?!?!?!?

I replace tires when they are worn out and/or exhibit signs of being unsafe, especially on my cars.

Actually, for automotive tires, yes the life limit is driven (no pun intended) by the chemistry of the tire materials...they get hard, brittle and unsafe (due to chemicals, UV light, vulcanization, etc.). So yeah...

Wilkerson Tires Shout out

I just ordered a set of Wilkerson retreads for my -10.

I still have the Desire retreads installed but wanted to have another set available.

The rep at Desser was very disappointing and did not seem to know anything about the tire, aircraft type, or even stock. The price was 105 each and tubes in the neighborhood of 150 each.

Decided to give Wilkerson a call. Rep was very nice and knew abut their product. Price was 81 a tire, less if you wanted to send in the used cores.

Tires showed up 2 days later via FedEx.

The treads are not as thick as the Desser monster retreads; they only bring the tires back to original size. Fit and finish looks great.

I plan on changing the Dessers when they are done, currently have 230 hours on them and still look good. Time will tell on the Wilkersons but they look good.

run into the same issue with motorhome RV tires....depending on who you ask it's between 5-10 years. Where in that range?
I recon it has a little to do with
how well they are maintained...stored indoors or out, cool or warm, wet or dry, etc...
and also if they are lightly loaded or heavily loaded

I have a class C motorhome and the rear axle runs right at the tires' capacity...sometimes a bit over. Had a blow out with the OEM tires at about 4 or 5 years. Caused a lot of damage.

I can't imagine aircraft rubber is any different. I sat through an elastomer seminar by a couple of Dow engineers years ago. More about industrial seals and such....not so much about tires. Can't remember a lot of detail but there are different compounds used so yeah, some last longer than others but I can't imagine that there's much of a difference within the tire industry.

If years of age has a bearing on tire/tube longevity, I would like to know. I don’t care at all about how many “hours” I have on my tires/tubes, because it means nothing. The number of landings does - and I assume each landing is preceded by a takeoff. I log the number of landings for this reason. In 2021, I logged 264 landings in my (then) RV4. Total hours was 102. My tires were still in good shape, but it gives me a benchmark for tire wear. If you are the kind of pilot that flies much longer legs, you should get considerably more hours before tire change - but probably not much more/less landings in a similar type/weight airplane. When we talk about tire wear, landings count - hours don’t. Years in service might be a factor though.

Back