What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I?d like to see an RV-10 near Portland

msmst25

Well Known Member
My wife has given me the go-ahead to start a plane, and I?m pretty sure that I want to build an RV-10. The only problem is that I?ve never actually seen one up close. Van?s is currently shut down for demo flights, and I was wondering if anyone in the area had a completed -10 that I could check out (just on the ground). I?d just like to make sure the plane is reasonably comfortable before embarking on a big expense of time and money. Thanks for the consideration.

I was between a 10 and 14 and the wife and I went to Sun N Fun to check them out. Until then, she had only flown with me in a 172. We sat in the 14 (which isn't exactly a "small" plane especially when compared to the width of a 172) then hopped in the 10. As soon as the doors were closed my wife looked at me and said "You're building a 10" which is all I needed to hear. As soon as you see/sit in a 10 you're going to fall in love.

Welcome to VAF

Matt, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Head west a bit, then south on 5.

Factory is in Aurora. Probably need to call first and see if they are showing planes.

RV-10

I did my flight training at Aurora and I?ll be building the plane there once it gets too big for the garage. The factory is still closed for demos. I?ve got a couple of feelers out through some friends in the area.

There are two at Independence Airpark near Salem. Send a private message with your phone. I am sure we can get you a seat trial.

Bruce Patton

Several nice examples

I am an owner of a -10 I built in 2014 and I would be happy to show it to you. I am based at the Hillsboro airport within 40 minutes of West Linn. There are two other beautiful -10?s on the field. There is also a gorgeous -10 based at KUAO which is closer to you and I will pass this thread onto the owner to see if he is willing to show his off. All 4 examples are high end, IFR equipped examples with all the exterior and interior accouterments you could ask for in a -10 so I think you will see how comfortable they can be.

I?ll send you my contact info via private msg.

I believe Dave is referring to my RV10 at Aurora, or I at least hope he is. I?d be happy to show you around the plane and let you take a look. Send me a PM if you are interested. Details and photos on my blog which you can access in my signature.

I believe Dave is referring to my RV10 at Aurora, or I at least hope he is. I?d be happy to show you around the plane and let you take a look. Send me a PM if you are interested. Details and photos on my blog which you can access in my signature.

The problem with looking at Mark's beautiful airplane is that the bar is set so high - it will be difficult, if not impossible, to come anywhere close. At least that has been the issue for me. The good news is that Mark's plane provides a goal to shoot for.

The problem with looking at Mark's beautiful airplane is that the bar is set so high - it will be difficult, if not impossible, to come anywhere close. At least that has been the issue for me. The good news is that Mark's plane provides a goal to shoot for.

There’s no doubt that there are some beautiful airplanes out there. But that doesn’t have to be your goal. If you prefer the utility of a pickup over a Mercedes, you can have that in a -10. The weight of a fancy interior, great paint, air conditioning, etc. all add up, as do the dollars. The choices are yours, which is one of the huge advantages of building your own plane.
If you want to come down to the SF Bay area I can show you the pickup version.

I'm impatient

Well, I started getting impatient and ordered the tool set from Cleaveland Tools today. I also started cleaning out the garage to make room for the project. Can't wait to get started.

Comfort

There?s no doubt that there are some beautiful airplanes out there. But that doesn?t have to be your goal. If you prefer the utility of a pickup over a Mercedes, you can have that in a -10. The weight of a fancy interior, great paint, air conditioning, etc. all add up, as do the dollars. The choices are yours, which is one of the huge advantages of building your own plane.

Bob, He mentioned ?comfort? and ?wife? so I made the assumption that he was looking along the lines of a Mercedes, not a pickup ;). No harm in seeing both though.

Thanks for the offer

There?s no doubt that there are some beautiful airplanes out there. But that doesn?t have to be your goal. If you prefer the utility of a pickup over a Mercedes, you can have that in a -10. The weight of a fancy interior, great paint, air conditioning, etc. all add up, as do the dollars. The choices are yours, which is one of the huge advantages of building your own plane.

That's the beauty of the experimental world. I have seen RV-10's that are more utilitarian (and have a better payload). Mark's plane is more Lexus like. My wife drives an LS and I have a Platinum edition Tundra - so our RV-10 will be more along those lines.

Lots of options in area

I heard Mark?s plane was really nice, seen Dave?s plane and that is a really nice version as well. The good news is Vans plane is as bare as they get. So you?ll see every version from simple and cheap to high end and expensive in your area. Mine is somewhere in the middle and other than the weight they are all the same amazing plane, so check out the plane, find out if you want to build it, (which you will) and decide what version you want while you?re building. It can be done nicely and certainly affordably.
This weekend I saw a lot of planes as I escaped California for Arizona, lots of RVs and cirrus and hands down I am so glad I fly a RV-10, i have a cheaper version and everyone still had nice things to say about it. It?s the best thing out there and many have discovered that recently, thanks to AOPA and the video.
Pascal

Yessir

Well said Pascal, and great to hear from you!

(Can?t wait to get that raincheck on a family trip for the girls before they start flying us around ;) )

Ordered the empennage

I ordered the empennage today. I'll have a chance to check out a couple of them in the area this week. Thanks for all the offers to let me take a look.

And so you begin

I ordered the empennage today. I'll have a chance to check out a couple of them in the area this week. Thanks for all the offers to let me take a look.

Okay, time to move on to building than (congratulations on this step) check out (if you havent already) myrv10(period) com. That is the epitome of every step and decisions you'll need to make as you build. Been aching to hook up with some dear friends in Aurora, if I do I'll let you know and we'll go out and fly together, some motivation and first hand see what you may want.
With the first kit you get a small manual- review section 5 for the building info. Reach out for any questions, you'll find the Vans group really is a great group of folks.

Dave- July 4 is on my schedule for the same event we did in the past at the same place ;-) if its on, we'll be there. Hope you and G will as well.

Last edited:
Got to see some planes

I got to check out Mark and David?s planes. Both beautiful and impressive. Very motivating. Now I just have to wait for everything to arrive.

Back