What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duckworks in 2nd to outermost bay? 5052 source in Portland, OR?

ERushing

Well Known Member
Good Afternoon,

Had a couple questions this afternoon:

1) Has anyone tried installing the Ductworks kit in the 2nd to outermost bay instead of the outermost bay? After spending 12 hours over the weekend dimpling and filling the two stall warning holes on the leading edge, I noticed that one of my QB wings came from the factory with a small dent/ blem on the leading edge in the middle of the 2nd to outermost bay.

I thought this might be a good reason to put the landing lights there. Has anyone else tried this before?

2) I'm going to start fabricating the brake lines shortly. Anyone know of a source for 5052 in Portland, OR?

Incidentally - I spent 12 hours on those 4 tiny holes because I FORGOT to do them prior to installing the tanks. I realized the mistake when I was reviewing the plans for completion. So I spent the weekend, removing torque tubes, removing the tanks, dimpling and filling 2 holes and then re-assembling everything!! The good news is that the wings are done with the exception of the fiberglass! Tail mates with the Fuse this coming weekend!

I think I've seen them there before. The only thing that would make me hesitate putting them there is that you would reduce the access to installing them by not being able to reach through the wingtip rib. That said, you only have to install it once (hopefully) and I suppose the hole you cut in the leading edge would be enough access to install everything.

Thanks Mark!

Anyone else have any input on the second to outermost bay for Duckworks? Besides access (I've got long arms) do you see any issue with the location? Flight stress?

Thanks!

There are some challenges with wiring and changing bulbs if the light is that far inboard. If you are planning to have the plane painted, any blemish can easily be filled and painted over and you'll never know the difference. So I wouldn't move it just because of a cosmetic issue that can be easily addressed in paint.

Thanks Mark. I'm planning to use the Baja Designs' Squadron Pro so I shouldn't have to worry about changing bulbs... at least not for a very long time!

I need to take a closer look to see how difficult it would be to get in there.

I've also been considering putting them in the wingtips like John Walker.

BTW - Thanks for the tip on the 5052. Need to run down there and pick some up. Any recommendations on how much to get?

Incidentally - I spent 12 hours on those 4 tiny holes because I FORGOT to do them prior to installing the tanks. I realized the mistake when I was reviewing the plans for completion. So I spent the weekend, removing torque tubes, removing the tanks, dimpling and filling 2 holes and then re-assembling everything!!

Oops I didn't even realize there were holes on the right wing... can't you just put some pull rivets in there?.. or some JB Weld?

You probably still want to dimple them. I asked Vans about just smearing a micro/ epoxy mixture over them and sanding at paint. The tech I spoke to said that he know someone who tried that and the holes eventually opened back up.

Beyond the time, it wasn't really that bad. The PITA part was getting the bolts set and torqued again. I took a really long bolt, ground off the threads and tapered the tip and used it to gently lever the tank attach zees into place. Most of them didn't actually need it, they lined up OK.

Sorry to hear that you missed this too!!

Did you ask if you could countersink it and then use a pull rivet? It's not so much the removing the tank that I'm concerned with it's the riveting with a bucking bar part.

You might call Vans and ask. I don't think I'd machine countersink the skin.

Bucking it was really no big deal. I just used the normal think tungsten bucking bar in one hand and the rivet gun in the other. Trust me. I have plenty of blems on my lower wing skins so I'm not the bees knees when it comes to riveting...

To dimple it, though, you do need to grind down one edge of the female pop rivet dimple die so it fits right. Took quite a lot of grinding. But it worked just fine.

I definitely wound up going back for more tubing because I didn't get enough. I think I used about 10 sticks. Some was scrap, some broken or bad flares, etc. Be sure to call to make sure hey have it in stock. Stock can vary with them from time to time.

Columbia Airmotive

Yeah definitely call ahead. I spoke w/the owners Jeff & Dave a month ago or so and they are planning to close down the business soon (likely this summer). As a result they haven't been stocking stuff so you need to call ahead specially if your driving in from out of town.

Before installing light in 2nd bay, I would check with Vans since this may affect the structural integrity of the wing. This is a stressed skin structure and the skin provides the wing with some part of its strength

Back