What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing light test setup

hamblin10

After building the wings, has anybody done an operational check of the landing and nav/position lights? I was thinking of using a 9v battery with some leads at the wing root.

I want to execute the exact same test for my landing light... not convinced my molex pin crimps are up to snuff. Hopefully someone has some good advice. My plan was to use a laptop charger which supplies 12v... not positive about the amps, but it should be around 1 amp.

Yes, a 9 volt battery will work to test continuity to the light ... It is what I used to test for a few seconds of illumination to verify all was well with the wiring.

I used an old odyssey battery (any 12v car or motorcycle battery will work.)

I bought an extra pair of the blue self-aligning connectors and made a 20' extension cord (all 8 wires so I am 'future proof'). When I had the wiring done in the fuselage, I then turned my attention to the lighting in the wings. I could leave the wings in the cradle, but electrically hook them up to the airplane and could test the entire system (switches, etc.) to ensure that everything worked properly. This also let me test the stall warning vane.

Back