What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trying to figure out how to make parts from 3D printed mold.

akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello All,

I need to make a blister for a servo mount (not an rv) and I was able to completely design the blister in fusion 360 and print it for test fitting.

Now I want to make a fiberglass part but looking for information is returning a sea of information and I'm just more confused wading through it.

I know many here have gone before me, so perhaps some answers to questions will get me pointed in the right direction:

1. When you make a fiberglass part is it better to make a mold to lay the fiberglass in to, or can you print the part and just lay glass over the top of it?

2. If using a mold, what do I need to finish it smooth so that I can release it? Body filler? Build up primer? Links to specific materials and products would be great.

3. What do I need for mold release? I get that my mold needs to break apart, which is easy, but don't I need a release agent, or wax? More links please!

4. For the actual fiberglass, how many layers should I use for a blister? 2? 3? What products do I use for the fabric, and resin?

I could really use a link to a good primer, or a post saying you need this and this and this which are used to do that, and here is the overview to making a part.

Thanks!
Matt

Back