What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propeller box stood on end during delivery

tims88

Well Known Member
My Hartzell CS propeller for my RV10 was just delivered and the delivery guy stood the box on its end on the dolly that he used to get it from the truck to my garage. While I was opening the box after he left I noticed the box says "do not stand on end" and the propeller has shifted towards the end of the box that was down.

How concerned should I be about this? I haven't removed the prop from the box yet and I can't see the tips of the blades so I can't tell for sure if it was actually resting on the tip while it was being moved.

There is typically a good amount of padding at the tip to the end of the box. If it was just rotated to vertical, I wouldn't worry about for a second.

If it was dropped 3 ft from the truck deck onto its end, then I would worry about it.

If you think about it, the propeller spends a lot of its life oriented in the vertical position :)

If the inside of the box, the ends of the propellor and foam stand-offs were undamaged, I'd say you're good to go. Pictures of course would help inform any decision or advice.

B

How does anyone know their prop was not standing on end in the truck all the way from the factory?

Last edited:
How does anyone know their prop was not standing on end in the truck all the way from the factory?

That's a fair point. It would be nice if their "do not stand on end" message was a bit larger and maybe printed on all sides of the box.

I haven't fully unboxed the prop yet but I was able to remove a piece of cardboard from the end of the box on the inside that was on the bottom while it was being moved. There are a couple of shallow indents in the cardboard that were probably made by the tip of the propeller but I would expect them to be much deeper if a lot of the prop's weight was resting on those spots.

I'm not really too concerned at this point but I figure it costs me nothing to reach out to Hartzell so I've done that. I'll post an update when I get a response.

PXL_20221027_155507884.jpg

Hartzell responded really quickly yesterday. They aren't concerned about it but said to check the tip for any damage and to give the blade a wiggle and compare it to the other blade to make sure they're the same.

What they are concerned about is props being stood on end during road transport where it might end up bouncing up and down and cutting into the end of the box, but a short dolly trip from the truck to my door is no big deal.

Good to Know

What they are concerned about is props being stood on end during road transport ... .. but a short dolly trip from the truck to my door is no big deal.

I'm happy for you. Mine is on the way. This makes me breathe a little easier.

Mike

I picked up my whirlwind RV300 the other day from FedEx. Same thing, the prop was there sitting on end, with 10 big labels that said not to stand it up.

When I pointed this out, the dock guy looked at me like I had 5 heads. No damage when I opened it up, they did a good job packing it.

Attachments

• PXL_20221031_201903935.jpg
    PXL_20221031_201903935.jpg
    574 KB · Views: 105
Back