What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some dual

walkman

Well Known Member
I need to get some dual in an RV-6 before I go pick mine up. At least five hours.

Is there anyone close with an RV-6 who could work work with me on this?

Thanks

RVCFI

I can help you go get it and give you dual on the way back. 20 years RV first flights and deliveries. 21,000 TT airline pilot. I can fly to and from for free. 815-519-3087

Spent some time with Kent this afternoon. Some great ground preparation, discussing various techniques, speeds, what to expect. Then off for 1.5 of mostly touch and goes. 3 pointers and a few wheel landings.

After 1.5 I was getting a little tired, but it was hard to get the grin off my face. What a fantastic airplane to fly and Kent is a great instructor.

Going back for some more punishment tomorrow :)

+1 on Kent ... although he probably considers me one of his "problem students". I was not the fastest learner but Kent really worked with and for me.

If you want a first person report on transition training, you can read my humbling experience here.

Spent some time with Kent this afternoon. Some great ground preparation, discussing various techniques, speeds, what to expect. Then off for 1.5 of mostly touch and goes. 3 pointers and a few wheel landings.

After 1.5 I was getting a little tired, but it was hard to get the grin off my face. What a fantastic airplane to fly and Kent is a great instructor.

Going back for some more punishment tomorrow :)

Hey, that was me you met- glad you hooked up with Kent!

and I was back for more punishment today :) 1.5 in the am and another 1 or so this afternoon. Definitely learned that slippers (yesterdays footwear) work much better than hiking boots (todays choice) when operating rudders and brakes in the RV. Smooth as silk this morning, getting a little choppy but not too bad in the afternoon. I was certainly tired, mentally and physically, after all the 3 point landings, wheel landings, no-flap versions of these, and a little fun with stall-spin entries and return-to-airport scenarios. Considering the fact that before yesterday I could barely taxi the darn plane, I'm not feeling too bad that I'm only hitting 70% or so of my wheel landings (though doing a bit better on 3 pointers). Maybe in a couple more days....

+1 on Kent ... although he probably considers me one of his "problem students". I was not the fastest learner but Kent really worked with and for me.

If you want a first person report on transition training, you can read my humbling experience here.

Glen your experience sounds EXACTLY like mine (insert RUDDER! RUDDER! and STICK FORWARD! as often as you like). I had/have the same back of mind concerns about the forward stick on the wheel landings.

To put it into a little more perspective, I think you said you had 250 hours and half in tail draggers, I had over 1,700 hours and 10 in tail draggers (all but 1 in cubs in the early nineties). It sounds like there was little difference in our learning experience, so far at least. What does that tell you about the airplane? Or the instructor? I don't know, I just know I'm not beating myself up and the way the airplane flies makes me grin.

Back