What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dog in back of RV-9

murdoughnut

I'm New Here
We have a labradoodle that will get to about 50 lbs when it's done growing. I've been looking at the -10, but with what I would want in it, I'd personally be better off just waiting until prices on the first and second gen SR-20s come back down to something reasonable (<$150K preferably).

But I am eyeballing the -9 as a possible alternative. Can't take my family of four, but that might be OK. Curious, though - would a 50lbs dog fit into the cargo area of the -9? Assuming all other things work out (dog is calm, remains in place, takes to flying, etc.) is there enough room for the dog to lay down? What abut if I through a small carry-on back there too? Independent of the 100 lbs weight limit, enough space to accomodate?

We have a labradoodle that will get to about 50 lbs when it's done growing. I've been looking at the -10, but with what I would want in it, I'd personally be better off just waiting until prices on the first and second gen SR-20s come back down to something reasonable (<$150K preferably).

But I am eyeballing the -9 as a possible alternative. Can't take my family of four, but that might be OK. Curious, though - would a 50lbs dog fit into the cargo area of the -9? Assuming all other things work out (dog is calm, remains in place, takes to flying, etc.) is there enough room for the dog to lay down? What abut if I through a small carry-on back there too? Independent of the 100 lbs weight limit, enough space to accomodate?

Hi Murdoughnut.

I think a 50lb dog would fit just fine back there.

I may have seen my buddy who is a bit over 200lbs in the back area while wiring up some avionics. I never did convince him to try to sit back there during a flight.

Dog should be fine, weight limit for that area is 100lbs.

Fit Fine

I have transported many different dogs in this size range on Pilots N Paws flights in my -7 (basically same fuselage as the -9). No issues with fit. The main problem is actually getting them back there and then back out. I lift them into the cockpit, with the passenger seat back folded forward, and then "convince" them to walk under the support bar into the baggage area. Reverse the process to get them out. It's not graceful but it works. I had one long legged passenger who decided to jump over, but most go under.

I would like to see a photo of a happy dog in an RV posted in the RV Grin section.

I can't say enough good things about the value of the Supertracks canopy extension for sliders.

Old post from a few years ago

This is from a old VAF post from 2016 from my RV12 so a little less baggage capacity than the RV9

Short 2 min video

youtube delta.jpg

https://youtu.be/shJHWIAj040

Back