What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument panel to canopy frame fit

Derek

Ive just cut the instrument panel to size and fitted it to the fuselage, when I trial fitted the canopy frame I'm finding a mismatch in the height of the panel compared to the forward edge of the canopy frame.

Referencing the plans Ive confirmed the height of the panel is correct, it's within an 1/8". However the canopy frame is approximately 3/4" lower than the panel. Not sure what's going on here.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/2972/rv4029.jpg

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9889/rv4031.jpg

Derek,
I just recently passed that point in my build of my RV4. Make sure you have the canopy frame hinge in place and the 3/16th spacer on the left hand side of the frame as well. If you don't have those in place, it could be the big difference that your seeing. No matter what, I don't think it will ever be perfect. It took me 3 weeks to get past that point. Just didn't won't to cut something that didn't need to be cut.
Good luck,

Ross Scroggs
Locust Grove, GA
RV4-#3911 Fuselage

The next step

Thanks Ross for the heads up on the hinge and spacer, Im guessing that with those 2 pieces in place it will close the gap a bit, but not the 3/4" I'm seeing.

It's looking a lot like the front arch ( square section ) of the frame will need to be replaced.:(

It's looking a lot like the front arch ( square section ) of the frame will need to be replaced.:(
With hinges and spacers in place it will be less than 3/4" I'd lower the panel and/or trim down the top a little before I'd reshape the bow. Come to think of it, I did. ;)

Thank's

I'd lower the panel and/or trim down the top a little before I'd reshape the bow. Come to think of it said:
Hi,

My panel is really as low as it can go, it's limited by the width at the upper longerons.
When I move the canopy frame up the 3/16" I'll be left with about a 1/2" step. If I trim the 1/2" off the top of the panel and not having the engine and engine cowl in place it's going to be hard to determine the line from the forward edge of the canopy all the way through to the spinner.

I may wait till the engine and cowls are in place to see how it all looks.

Thanks again for your reply.

I was told a trick by someone ( who I can't remember) that worked well for me. Shim the frame and get it to the shape that your happy with . Set your uncut panel in place and trace a scribe line on to it using the front of the canopy frame bow as your guide. The result is a perfect or near perfect fit.
Ryan

So everyone cuts down their panel ?

I was told a trick by someone ( who I can't remember) that worked well for me. Shim the frame and get it to the shape that your happy with . Set your uncut panel in place and trace a scribe line on to it using the front of the canopy frame bow as your guide. The result is a perfect or near perfect fit.
Ryan

Thanks Ryan,

So after you reduced the height of your panel, how does the profile look when viewing the fuse from the side ? Hope you get what I mean, this is the line across the top of the fuse all th eway from the canopy frame to the spinner ?

The difference between your canopy bow shape and the scribe line that vans provides ( I assume they still send you an uncut panel) are usually not to far off if the canopy is shimed up on the RH side to compensate for the hinge thickness and the LH side to keep the frame from contacting the cockpit rail. If I understand what your asking the answer is you wont notice any difference in the shape between the instrument panel and the front of the firewall and you should have no problem with the front cover fitting nicely.
Ryan

Back