What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Comparison

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
If you were trying to describe an RV-10's flight characteristics/overall performance to another pilot who had never flown an RV-10 (or any other RV) what standard cert aircraft would you use as a basis for comparison? For example, it's similar to a [insert make/model] but is a [insert adjective --eg faster, smoother, more stable, a little slower, etc].

IOW, what is the RV-10's closest standard cert competitor not factoring cost?

My friend, who just flew the Van's factory -10, says he compared it to an A-36 Bonanza in speed and comfort. Also said that it handled better (easier). He also just purchased his own -10 kit.

I would tell you that it is probably most similar in performance to a Bonanza, especially in landing, although it has a much better overall performance envelope, and is especially more pleasing to passengers in both comfort and visibility. The control feel is almost like a C-182, in that it is very stable, much more so than any of the other 2-seat Van's aircraft.

Vic

Another would be a Comanche 260 which, like the -10, was a "fill the tanks and the seats and go" airplane. I believe the -10 outperforms in just about every aspect of flight, and does not have the Comanche's abrupt stall characteristics (nor the possibility of landing gear-up).

I agree with Vic's assesment of control feel..

...which was a little disappointing compared to my -6A. Then again, its mission is as a rock-solid cross-country big load hauler and it does that extremely well and, incidently, better visibility than any of the side-by-side RV's with a seriously down-sloping nose in cruise.

Van hit another home run with the -10, IMO and we now have a choice of the sprighty 6's and 7's or tandem personal fighters or 4 place family airplane.

Best,

Not as sporty as the 6/7/8 is it Pierre?

But its not that kind of machine either.

They will if left unattended for a while start heading off on their own like into a spiral dive, they are not a boring aircraft like a C172, but the V35B is almost the same in mix of sporty feel and directional control.

Its like a V35B just better :)

Most like the Bonanza

I had a V35B for a few hundred hours, and several other aircraft over my lifetime --- our RV-10 is mostly "Bonanza-like", but with a much more forgiving CG range.

A little slower than a Cirrus but better payload and short-field performance. I will admit to liking the nice "automotive" interior of the Cirrus. However, there are now some really sweet interior kits available for the -10.

Flying and RV-10

My first ride in an RV-10 was this past Friday. Albert Gardner of Yuma, AZ graciously took me and a friend for a ride. I have flown the 6/6A, 7/7A and 8/8A. What I noticed was a less sensitive stick and a slower roll rate than the the other RV's that I have flown. It had Great control harmony. Holding a steady altitude while doing steep turns was easy even without adjustments. Very little rudder is required to stay coordinated. Most of my flying has been in GA aircraft using a yoke. The RV-10 has a very comfortable control feel and a pleasing ride. I would compare it very favorably with any Single engine Cessna or Mooney.

Back