What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I had a mishap this morning.....

kpaulsen

which I hope doesn't turn into a major problem. While working on the baffles I guess I put too much of my weight on the front of the plane (RV7) and it nosed over and the propeller hub hit the floor pretty hard. My main concern is if I damaged the engine. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the propeller or hub but what can I do to check if anything in the engine got bent or damaged, the engine is new and hasn't been run yet (TMX I0360).

The second concern is why is the plane so nose heavy. I don't have the VS, HS or wings installed but I've been doing FWF work for the last several months with no problems. After this mornings mishap I put sand bags in the tail to make sure it stays down but I'm worried I have a weight & balance issue. Should the plane be so nose heavy with just the engine and no wings or tail feathers?

It's very common to be nose heavy like that without the emp in place. I've seen people with cinder blocks on the aft deck to hold them down.

Need some aft ballast

All the missing parts you mention would move the actual CG aft - you're probably pretty far forward as is so it doesn't sound unusual that the aircraft would nose over.

Lycoming has a service bulletin - 475C - that I think would technically apply here, but I suspect there is no issue with that. On the other hand, I'd probably get in touch with Mahlon at Mattituck and get his thoughts on checking over the engine.

Dan

WOW!! That's too soon for a prop strike!! I would at least set up a dial indicator on the engine prop flange and check the runout. You should do it from the backside of the flange and also on the circumferential edge to see if you possibly bent the crankshaft. Is it a C/S Hartzell? I would also ask the prop MFG for any advice and the engine MGF for advice. Sure don't want to find a problem in flight.

Roberta

Listen to Roberta!

Since the engine was not rotating, you should have no problem with the accessory gears, or any rotating parts except the crank. the new Lycoming guidance is very picky. Even hangar rash needs careful inspection.

If it dials straight I would think you would be OK, but Mahlon is the goto guy for this...

Best of Luck... let us know what you find out.

Tools

Karl,

If you need a dial indicator or anything let me know. I'm down in Sandy and hangar out at 36U. Let me know if I can help.

Sean Strasburg

Reminds me of 30 years ago while building a Long Ez. I had the canard off and a couple if lead shot bags in the front seat to make up for the weight of the canard. I was under the engine pulling down to tighten something. The propeller tip and garage ceiling stopped it from tipping further. Told a builder freind and he remarked that he couldn't believe what I had done. A few weeks later he had his long Ez out on his driveway and started his engine. A piece of plywood sucked into his prop breaking it. Ted Hendrickson, our prop source said, "what gives with you Montana builders, you both ordered new props and you haven't even flown yet!.

Nose over

Pretty common, I have heard of 3 tip overs doing engine starts with no wings on. happened on a T-18 some time ago. Vans should have some warnings in this area.

It's done all the time.

Yep Ryan...it's done often. I attached a dial indicator to the front baffling of a -4 that had a forced landing and went over backwards.

Simply place the dial indicator lever to barely touch the crank flange and rotate the engine slowly, watching the numbers on the indicator.

Best,

Yep Ryan...it's done often. I attached a dial indicator to the front baffling of a -4 that had a forced landing and went over backwards.

Simply place the dial indicator lever to barely touch the crank flange and rotate the engine slowly, watching the numbers on the indicator.

Best,

Don't forget to take the top plugs out. ;)

I had my tail strapped down to a block of concrete before the emp was on, so you have no issues there, totally normal. When you get the wings on, then you are doing some heavy lifting to get the tail up.

Probably ok with the engine as well, but I dont know a **** thing so get many opinions.

Should the plane be so nose heavy with just the engine and no wings or tail feathers?

Yes. I had a car battery sitting back there for a couple of years on mine. You're W&B is fine. As for the engine, I have no expertise. If it were me, I'd check the run out and move on. If you didn't bend it while it was static it's unlikely that you put enough stress on it anywhere else to hurt it. This is just me guessing though.

Back