What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1/4" Diameter Flat Sets for Squeezers

HFS

Well Known Member
Once in a while the smallest diameter squeezer sets - 3/8" is still too large for the job. I took a set of the 3/8 and turned them down to 1/4" diameter, then polished them. You hardly ever need them, but when you do ...

3/8" on the bottom, 1/4" on the top

HFS

Attachments

• 1:4%22 Dia. Flat Sets.jpg
    1:4%22 Dia. Flat Sets.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 227
Use them all the time for platenuts. I mostly use the one that came with the brake rivet set kit from Avery, but also have a couple others including a longer one I made. The old Southbend gets used more than I would have thought.

I have modified a couple AN-3 bolts to make custom sets for my squeezer.

Anyone know what the little retaining rings are called? I've made a couple of sets but without the retaining ring they like to fall out of the squeezer.

Anyone know what the little retaining rings are called? I've made a couple of sets but without the retaining ring they like to fall out of the squeezer.

Not sure of the name for the rings, but you could use a tiny O-ring in the groove, or just a bit of gorilla tape on the side to hold it in place.

Why So Many Lengths?

The primary reason I have so many lengths is that I already had an extra full set of 3/8" dia. - so I just did them all.

But even with an adjustable squeezer mandrel, there are times when different lengths are needed.

HFS

Different lengths

Different lengths may be needed e.g. when squeezing adjacent to a 5/8" flange, so as to be able to clear the flange with the yoke. A stack of 3/16" washers can also be used under the set to make it "taller".
Another way to make a set narrower (if you don't have a lathe to turn it down) is to grind a flat face on one side,

Back