What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Goodyear Flight Custom III vs Retread

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
I've read many posts about the Desser 15x6.00-6 6 ply retreads, seems most like the wear life and cost. I've gotten 550 hours on the Flight Custom III's but it's getting close to replacement time. Can someone let me know how much larger the retreads are? My wheel pants are not super tight to the tire, at least 5/8 - 3/4" space all around.

Thanks
Gary
RV10

Last edited:
I have only installed the dressers on my 10. Be careful of the opinions you get here, as dresser sells several retread versions. THe Monster is a larger tire, but not available in 15-6X6. They only offer the premium, which is not as big as the Monster. I assume it is still larger than stock or the dresser Std retread, which I assume is similar to stock.

You have a bigger clearance then me and I speculate that you would need only minor work with a round file to make them fit, assuming you accept a smaller clearance. I don't think I have more than 5/8" at any point, with much of it 1/2". I tend to go a bit larger in the areas that bulge more from weight or grow in size as the tire losses air. You could also go with the Std retread, though it won't last as long as the premium.

They wear well. I have 225 hours and just flipped them for the first time. Expect I should go well past 500 hours on them.

Larry

Last edited:
Tire Carcass Type

If you want the same carcass type, you will need to notify your re-treader or supply your own.

The higher quality tires (like GY's) are not necessarily in stock all the time.

Just Sayin'

HFS

Ditto on Wilkerson retreads. I've been using their retreads for many years without issue. Great folks, great service, good prices, free shipping and a great product.

Wilkerson Aircraft Tires

You can provide your own carcasses, but they're happy to just sell you tires they've retreaded already and I've never NOT had a tire available. Desser is a different story as they seem to be out of common sizes on occasion (I've used both vendors).

I normally save up a bunch of carcasses and then send several as a single package.

Last edited:
Thanks all

Yes...Desser was out of the Flight Custom III, Aircraft Spruce still has them.

I didn't know about Wilkerson, will give them a call.

Thanks
Gary

I originally had the flight customIII on my aircraft when I first started flying it back in 2009 and over 1400 hrs. I have a 7A. I also put on the Michelin air stops. Some time later I went to the condor retreads. Yes they wore very well, but I felt I lost control with these tires. They seemed to not grab so well, slip on the runway so to speak. I remember many of times needing to stop and actually skidded to a stop. handling on snow and ice was much worse. When these finally wore out I went to the Flight specialII tires and dessers air stop tubes. What I came up against with those is a bad vibration around 22mph on landing. I put a camera on my airplane and yes the mains were shaking all over the place. I bought a balancer and while waiting for it I decided to just go back to the flight custom III and airstops from Michelin and forgo the expense. Before tearing down the flight specials I put the tire on the balancer and yes way out of balance. I put the new customIII setup on and checked on the balancer and it needed no weights it was perfect, both tires were that way. Flew the plane and wow, what a difference in handling and no shake. I am super glad I made the change back to the flight custom III. On take off and landing the traction with the flight customs is superb. I will forever stay with this tire.

Last edited:
Back