What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

@#$%^&* Horizontal Stabilizer

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Good Afternoon Fellow Builders:

As you kow there is a lot of on and off again with pieces and parts andthe HS is no different. I am having two issues:

1: Aligning the HS stabilator with the F-1211 Assembly and getting the AN4-12A bolts engaged o attach the HS to the tailcone.

2: I have tried several types of glue (Krazy glue, JB weld, Permatex... ) to keep the AN960-416(L) washers glued in place. The slightest bit of fiddling and I hear the clink of said washers hitting the deck. I have also tried a set of washer wrenches, but with revision of the bracket there is even less space between the HS and the bearing assembly.

I have tried to use a motorcycle lift with the HS on it and raise and lower the HS to adjust the height, butstill cannot get it alinged.
I have had this problem before, but after several hours of cussing and questioning my decision to buld, I was able to get everything attached.

Any advice would be aprreciated, or just some commiseration.

Stick the washers together and to the work with Easy Turn, also known as fuel lube. Works for sticking washers and nuts to finger tips too. Frustration is part of building. When you finally get it, it turns to satisfaction.

Ed Holyoke

Last edited:
HS stab washers

This is what I did to not knock those washers off when fitting the Stabilator.

After tou have glued the washers in place with whatever glue you like, I like d an epoxy, put a little strip of packing tape over the glued washers. I might have tried strapping tape. This gives a little "ramp" to keep the edge of stab from hitting the washer edge and slide up over the washers.

Be sure to cut the bolt opening out so bolt insert easily. The tape stays in place.

Use two guys to hold stabilator level as you insert it so you can man the bolts.

2020 RV 14A flying
Contribution made

I used two EAA tables either side of the tailcone to rest the HS on. I used “shims” (foam, towels, ...) to bring it to the appropriate height. I then used a couple of spare bolts with the threads ground off into a blunt bullet shape. I used these for final alignment on both sides. Careful not to drive them in too far and screw up the nut plate threads. Then, I removed one, partially, and used it to align the washers. That sticky EZ Lube stuff works well to hold them in place. Then I remove the bolt and replaced it with the threaded one. Repeat on other side.

Hope this helps.

I then used a couple of spare bolts with the threads ground off into a blunt bullet shape. I used these for final alignment on both sides.

+1 for this method. It works while either shimming the stab in place while on a bench or while the stab is held at each end by friends ( I mostly use the latter because it is usually faster). Get the rough alignment and the bullet bolts slide right in to temporarily "pin" the stab in place.

When ready for the permanent bolts, I have found a piece of vinyl tubing and a wire tie can hold onto the bolt for insertion or even better, use a large hemostat if you have access to one.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0Bz0IqDEWGQ/XQl7uF2oO3I/AAAAAAAANPs/OYh2OZ_dZSkZ49js74TzFxYH5Bah77nQQCLcBGAs/s1600/DSC03571.JPG

For the washers, I usually tape them onto the end of a thin metal machinist ruler with painters tape and slide then into place one washer at a time while inserting the bolt a little bit at a time.

Make no mistake, no mater what method you use, it is a fight. But you will ultimately win if you take your time ... this is one place where patience is really a virtue.

Last edited:
There was a post some time ago about using bigger diameter washers. Makes it way easier. I’ll try and find it. This is the route i went. Also regular grease works great to hold washers in place.

Lots of good advice here. I'll mention a shop addition that was inspired by struggling through this task.

Along with the difficult bolt and washer manipulation, is being in a decent position to work. At least with my setup, it was an awkward height with overhead work. I had trouble getting into position and staying there comfortably. When I'm uncomfortable I'm impatient and things seem harder than they need to be. I'm glad to have the aerocreeper in the shop now.

https://aerocreeper.com

Thank you all for great suggestions. I tried punches with a 90 degree but too much slop. I have some "sacrificial" bolts that will be repurposed. I was hopig this was going to be the last time I would have the stabilator off, silly me.

I have I told you how much I hate nut plates?

Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowlege.

Back