What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Skin

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I'm building an F4 (Rocket lite) with a "standard" RV-4 wing. I've heard side discussions about the aileron skins being updated to a thicker gage. The skins I have are 016. I've seen an RV-8 drawing but it only references a pre-punched part/part number. No material dims.

What are my current risks as is?
Should I go ahead and plan on reskinning? If so, at what thickness?

One step forward. Two steps back. Story of my build life. Thx.

Updating Aileron Skin Thickness

I think you will find Van's very reluctant to make "special" skins other than what is called out in the plans. 30 years ago they would (I have a set), but now - not so much. I tried to get them to make me a set of .020" aileron skins for an RV3 I am currently building - answer was "We don't do that anymore."

Good Luck - maybe an "aftermarket" manufacturer?

HFS

HR II S/N 002

Thanks to all

I suppose the 016s are guaranteed to crack?

Can probably form one myself if:
I can borrow the long brake at the FBO
I get enough 020 to ruin a couple first

Any other info, please forward along. Thx.

RV8 quick build ailerons

Just buy a set of RV8 quick build ailerons ....they come fully assembled and are same dimensions as RV4 ...

Just buy a set of RV8 quick build ailerons ....they come fully assembled and are same dimensions as RV4 ...

This. Or -8 parts and build em up. I went from .016 RV-4 Ailerons to .020 skinned -8 Ailerons because of skin compression at higher speeds. Yes it's real and yes it made it fly like a new airplane.

Dilemma

This. Or -8 parts and build em up. I went from .016 RV-4 Ailerons to .020 skinned -8 Ailerons because of skin compression at higher speeds. Yes it's real and yes it made it fly like a new airplane.

Thanks to all. Here is what I'm afraid of.

These are all slow build construction. If I purchase -8 parts (pre-punched), worry the ailerons will then be out of plane with the flaps. Or maybe the trailing edges won't align, etc.

I'd like to get a ride in this #$%@! thing before I die.

Not a worry

Ailerons and flaps will be fine as you would also need to buy some of the mounting brackets ( part number escapes me ) ...they come predrilled and blank ...so if the predrilled isn't bang on ....you can drill your own . Takes a bit of work and but covered in several posts on VAF

Thanks to all. Here is what I'm afraid of.

These are all slow build construction. If I purchase -8 parts (pre-punched), worry the ailerons will then be out of plane with the flaps. Or maybe the trailing edges won't align, etc.

Even when you build the pre-punched RVs, there is no guarantee the flap and aileron edges are aligned perfectly.

Back