What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Trim Tab Size

Scotty G

Well Known Member
I’m told size matters…

My rudder trim tab is about 3.25 inches tall, and sticks out about 1.5” or so. It’s stuck to the rudder trailing edge and provides right rudder trim.

What size are your rudder trim tabs? Want to see what’s out there and if I can improve mine.

Thanks!

Size does matter. Unfortunately, mine's too big.

I have to hold left rudder in cruise to keep the ball centered. Also unfortunately it was installed prior to paint. There was an entry from very early in the phase 1 period (I didn't build the airplane) that there was too much rudder trim. In 20 years, it hasn't been addressed, mostly because there is no way to fix it without marring the paint.

I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Rudder Trim......

My rudder trim tab is about 3.25 inches tall, and sticks out about 1.5” or so. It’s stuck to the rudder trailing edge and provides right rudder trim.
What size are your rudder trim tabs? Want to see what’s out there and if I can improve mine.

I guess I'm not a great fan of trim tabs that are protruding past the trailing edge. They appear to be an afterthought and "stuck on". I like the "purposefully installed" appearance.

Here are photos of my RV-4 trim.... Works very well after much trial and effort with a piece of similarly-shaped wood held on by duct tape. Flies feet on the floor at cruise.....:)

Attachments

• IMG_91901.jpg
    IMG_91901.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_91911.jpg
    IMG_91911.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_91921.jpg
    IMG_91921.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 95
Rudder trim tab

Well I have been struggling with this one for some time. If I were building one I would put in a rudder trim tab servo... So we know the tab is only going to be "perfect " at one particular setting. Now I have rear seat rudder pedals installed. The most "perfect" solution I have found is a very inexpensive small clamp. I get to cruise whatever that may be then place the non squeeze end on the holder bracket for the rear pedals, pick the side. Then place the squeeze end up and on the end of the push part of the redder pedal and then just lightly squeeze it until the ball is centered and walla! It is very effective. It is just one of the small squeeze clamps from Lowes/HD. A $6 fix for every speed. This only works on the 8 with RCP pedals in. Hope this helps.

As promised, here is a picture of what was on mine when I bought it. It really needs to be smaller, and I would use something more tapered if I were to do it again.

IMG_3732-L.jpg

IMG_3733-XL.jpg

Back