What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Multiple G3x screens and Ipad Usage

huse0054

Well Known Member
I have been giving a future panel some thought and would like to hear how folks are using an Ipad and foreflight while also having 2 or 3 G3X screens?

I currently fly a 182 and use a large ipad (bluetoothed to a gnx375) for charts, plates, traffic, airport info, frequency lookup, weather and all the other bells and whistles foreflight offers.

So for those with multiple G3X screens...
-In real world scenarios what screens do you use for what?
-Do you still use an ipad in the cockpit or with all those g3x screens is an ipad not needed and thus foreflight not needed?
-If you still use foreflight/ipad how does that communicate with the g3x screens?

I haven't done enough research on the G3x functionality yet but looking for feedback or links to threads covering this topic.

Thanks

Though not G3Xs, the aircraft I fly (Cirrus SR20/22) have dual large panel displays -- I run ForeFlight on a 10" iPad Pro that's strapped to my inboard leg using a Pivot case (highly recommended) & strap. One of the planes has the ability to transfer flight plans to and from the panel, which is like magic.

Even with all the functionality available in the G1000, I'd never fly without ForeFlight.

I have two portrait screens. One PFD and the other Map/engine. Similar to a side by side large screen. I also use a large Ipad with foreflight just right of the avionics stack. I really like getting plates, Wx and airport info from the ipad over the G3X and also like having the G3X map in track up with the Ipad in North UP (better situational awareness). My brain seems to process better with North up. Never really missed having another G3X screen

Last edited:
I have a two 7" non-touch G3X screens, a GTN 650 and an iPad mini. 99.9% of the time I fly with the following setup:

EFIS #1 - PFD
EFIS #2 - MFD displaying the moving map (or approach plate) and engine instruments. I also use it to look at FIS-B weather for my destination or airport data. Although sometimes I'll do that on the iPad, but usually on the MFD.
GTN - Nearest Airport
iPad - GarminPilot (bluetooth to my ADS-B receiver) displaying a zoomed in portion of the active leg of the flight plan (mainly on a Sectional, sometimes on an IFR low enroute). I didn't mount my iPad but just leave it loose, kinda like a kneeboard. I like to pick it up and zoom in and out on the route looking a traffic, weather, and whatnot. I also will brief any approaches off the plate on the iPad vs the EFIS as it's easier to zoom and move around the document than on the EFIS

Eventually, I plan on upgrading to a larger screen G3X Touch system, but I still plan to use my iPad when I do.

Last edited:
I operate two 10 inch touch and an I Pad mini (on a holder as a center screen) on my panel. I use the mini for flight planning etc. In flight it is operated as a 3rd screen moving map with traffic, etc. If IFR and I get an extensive reroute, I pull it from the holder and easily do all my rerouting, then send it via blue tooth to my G3X touch and GTN 650 (I m currently using Foreflight). I found a nice holder via Amazon that looks clean with or without a device in it. It holds the mini or my phone. My GTN650, 307, and audio panel sit low in the center stack of the panel, which leaves room for the mini above.

I regularly fly some certified products with two large G1000 screens. I carry my iPad to fill the flight plan from ForeFlight, and after that I never open it. The screens give me all the info I could ever want.

My setup...

Dual G3X Touch 10" screens (PFD & MFD) and GTN 650xi.
With this setup, I have all the flight planning, fuel planning, navigation data, weather, traffic, etc. that I can possibly digest...

I did consider carrying an iPad, and still might, but just for the passenger to watch Netflix (or pre-downloaded content).

I have 2 x G3X Touch, a GTN 650 and a G5 for backup. I load flight plans (after filing from the iPad with Garmin Pilot) from the iPad to the panel (or iPhone works too) using BlueTooth connections. (Foreflight will do the same.). For IFR flight plans, I use the scratchpad function in Garmin Pilot to record clearances and read back. Then the iPad gets put away. All information is available on the screens including plates - the only time I pull out the iPad is when I'm bored. The widgets display in Garmin Pilot can be useful looking ahead on a flight plan (METARs, winds aloft). However, another screen, especially on a knee is a further distraction from "eyes outside". YMMV

For those of you using the iPad, are you connecting to a stratus or can your panel connect to it to provide traffic and weather?

I have two sky view screens and a 650 and I only use the iPad/stratus if I am in hard ifr or planning an approach. I run the pfd in split screen with flight instruments and engine and the second screen with full map. The 650 is in default nav mode, giving me time and distance to waypoints. The iPad is showing the plates on approaches, off the rest of the time.

I used to yoke mount an iPad mini in my bonanza with steam gauges. It was way better than flying a Cessna with no moving map or weather.

Now I built an Rv7a with dual Dynon and an ifd540.

I use ForeFlight on my phone for flight planning before starting the engine. Once the engine is going, I only use the phone for photography. The Dynon is so much nicer and it’s wonderful being panel mounted and never overheating or running low on battery or tangling my legs in cables.

David

My transponder receives ADSB in and blue tooth’s out to my ForeFlight (or Garmin pilot app). The mini I Pad is my convenience tool. Since I have it, and have space on the panel to place it, I use. Definitely with a couple of 10 inch screens you got all you need.

Back