What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin V Dynon

N17079

I'm New Here
I am sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find anything that covered it - so here goes.

I am just about to start the tail cone and have the wings on order for my RV-14A, so am starting to think about systems installation. I fly IFR now in my Cherokee 180 with dual G5s and a 430W, with a 155 as the back-up nav com. I am looking to have similar capability in the 14 and will probably opt for an Avidyne 440 as my primary nav/comm but for the EFIS and autopilot I am having a hard time deciding whether to go down the Garmin or Dynon route.

Both look very capable and in terms of up-front pricing they look similar. For database updates the Dynon does look cheaper but not so much that it really drives me in that direction. Has anyone looked at the pros and cons of the Skyview versus the G3X and their respective autopilots? If so, would be interested to hear from you.

Tim Ewbank
RV-14A Builder 160 hrs build time on Empennage
Cherokee 180 Owner

I wouldn't bother worrying yet. Unless you're among the world's fastest builders, the offerings will probably be very different come the time you actually need to decide.

I'm coming up on 8 years building and soon to do canopy and cowl, and waited till about a month ago to finalize my decision and start making "no going back" purchases and installations. I was wavering between two options for the last year.

I am certainly not looking to buy the entire system but would like to do the wiring for whatever system I choose before closing out some of the sections and will buy pitot probes etc. As you say, at least 2 years away from full systems installation.

Which way did you go?

Both

I have two 10” SkyView HDX EFIS with all the network adds (transponder, autopilot with both knob panels, ADSB in, dual ADHRS, etc) plus the Garmin GTN650xi. They talk to each other via a Dynon ARINC module. I really do like this IFR setup. Best of both worlds.

I have two 10” SkyView HDX EFIS with all the network adds (transponder, autopilot with both knob panels, ADSB in, dual ADHRS, etc) plus the Garmin GTN650xi. They talk to each other via a Dynon ARINC module. I really do like this IFR setup. Best of both worlds.

+1
I installed or helped install this same set up in four RVs.

As you work your decision, look beyond the advertising toward after the sale service. Dynon is the gold standard for the avionics suppliers. One example is I recently had to send in my roll servo for repair (I did something stupid during final paint prep and trashed it). Dynon repaired it anyway - on their dime.

For now all you really need from Dynon (if that is your choice) for your build are:
- Pitot/AOA with mount mast
- The standard Van’s RV-14 ADHARS mount in the wing (it will support dual ADHARS modules, one stacked on top of the other)
- Install the pitch servo bracket when you fabricate the elevator bell crank
- Install the roll servo bracket with the right aileron bell crank

As you build you can then decide on the expensive panel stuff. For an IFR install I always use the Garmin GTN-650 as it is, in my opinion, the least bad of the overpriced TSO GPS navigator options. I recommend you stay away from the Garmin GTR200 radio as Comm #2 as I have observed it exhibiting a marginal receiver RF front end - it was consistently overloaded when I used it to monitor one frequency while transmitting on another frequency using the GTN-650 (this was in an RV-14A using the per planes antenna locations, the antennas and feed lines verified using an antenna analyzer and a panel done by a certified avionics shop). I find the Dynon radio to be as good as the GTN-650, and no front end overload issues.

Note: There is a connection you can make between the GTN-650 and the GTR 200 that “desensitizes” the GTR200 when transmitting on the GTN-650 to address the front end overload issue. The downside is this then eliminates the capability for pilot/co-pilot simultaneously talking on the two different radios (standard spilt mode on most audio panels).

Just like primers, you will get a lot of recommendations. I’m just sharing my experience, not bashing anyone. The next (and perhaps final RV) will again be a dual SkyView panel.

Carl

There are lots of threads on this subject.

The consensus is that the cost and feature set of Dynon and Avidyne are nearly identical. Whichever one you choose, you’ll be happy.

One exception is that I personally dislike the garmin 650 interface, especially in turbulence. I’m happier with the IFD. Some people like it. Try it yourself if you are contemplating one.

It may come down to your preference between the smaller and bigger player, or your assessment of service and long term viability. The competition between the two is great for the industry and has driven cost and quality and service to a great level.

I looked at both at Oshkosh 2018. Garmin would hardly give me the time of day while Rob Hickman at Dynon spent an hour answering all my questions and helping me spec out a system. I went with Dynon and a QuickPanel and have been very happy.

SteinAir does a huge number of panels and has a great reputation. They did my buddies panel. Stein does both brands and can guide you through the choice.

You don’t really need to run anything until you are ready to close the wings or put the top skin on the empennage. You will want the autopilot servos and pitot heat and wiring for the lights at that point. Put 3/4” holes in the wing ribs and fuselage bulkheads for these runs. I built a 7 and found routing through the center spar to take a lot of holes late in the build. Check if the 14 has designed better spar penetrations or plan them before you start closing up the fuselage.

David

I am certainly not looking to buy the entire system but would like to do the wiring for whatever system I choose before closing out some of the sections and will buy pitot probes etc. As you say, at least 2 years away from full systems installation.

Which way did you go?

I found that a few simple provisions, like Dynon's servo brackets (they'll work with other brands too, apparently) and a bit of wiring conduit, was sufficient.
I'd leave wiring until you're ready to do it all at once, so you don't forget how. I wish I could take my employer's wiring class again as a refresher, honestly..

In the end, I settled on Dynon. I really liked what GRT had to offer and they had some really neat features, but when I thought about what I'm actually going to do with the airplane vs. having neat stuff, Dynon won (never seriously considered Garmin). Plus, I have a lot of time on a Skyview classic from my Dad's 6, so it's a familiar interface. Even then, I'm vacillating on Classic vs. HDX and won't be buying any of the expensive parts yet--I'm starting wiring and mounting right now with 3d printed dummy units.

I guess if I was getting to the point where I had to start making decisions about avionics that might not be actually installed for a few years, I'd be thinking about an Advanced Panel with a centralized power and distribution center. I'd maybe start with that and when the time came, be able to just plug in the current versions of the other systems. Rob Hickman is a clever guy. I'd consider giving him a call and seeing if they have a solution for a builder in your shoes.

https://www.advancedflightsystems.com/advanced-panels.php

If the choice are between these two, then Garmin but I do favor GRT very much. I have flown behind all three so my choice is based on personal experience.

Back