What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Booth from Crate Idea

rjm727

Well Known Member
I saw a post where a clever builder used his shipping crate to make a paint booth (sort of a paint table) with suction out the bottom and through a fan with filters. Perfect for priming. Anyone familiar? I’ve been search but can’t find the post.

I found several different threads by searching google using:

shipping crate paint booth site:vansairforce.com

many different approaches using shipping crates, you might find the post you are looking for.

This video shows my completed downdraft paint booth used for priming. I suppose you could use one of the shipping crates for some of the construction.

This worked great for all my priming.

DIY spay booth

I didn't use the plywood from the crate, but built one out of plywood. It's basically a box with a fan and a couple of furnace filters. The base is on wheels so I can wheel it outside when the weather is nice. The hood is attached to the wall and not part of the base. The fan was from a kids bounce house and moves a lot of air. I cut a hole in the side of the box so the motor can grab fresh air to help reduce the risk of explosion. Have used it once so far and it worked really well. Pulled all of the fumes and overspray out of the workshop.

view

view

view

view

view

view

Paint booth

I made a temporary. Shower curtains hung from conduit. Conduitd are hung from the garage door frames. Very useful.
Four curtains make the walls and one goes over the top. Bildge fan connected to a dryer vent on the garage wall pulls the paint fog out. It's not very big but worked great when weather was so cold or wet I couldnt spray in my barn.
Goes up in a few minutes. Stores is a small storage bin.
Sweetie getting mad cuz the shower curtains are gone...that lasts a bit longer!
She was happy getting new curtains.:D

I've been kicking around the idea of building a booth like this for priming, but I keep coming back to the fact that every time I've primed so far, I end up running around the table to spray things from different directions, as opposed to moving the parts. I have a PVC frame with plastic mesh over it that I lay on sawhorses (and sheets of plastic over the garage floor). With the HVLP gun, the overspray is minimal. I use Ekoprime, and the smell doesn't linger at all.

For those of you with booths, do you tend to hang parts so you can hit them from different sides easily at once, or do you just have to wait for things to dry a bit so you can turn them around, then flip, etc?

David Woodward, you do very nice work. I'm sure your plane will be a gem.

Dave

Appreciate the vote of confidence Dave but I've already replaced 4 botched parts on my VS. I think there might only be 15 parts total. Chocking it up to the learning curve, but also starting to wonder if I should just stick to woodworking :)

Back