What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel training

dave_091

Good day,

I’m brand new to the RV club, I’ve just purchased a Vans RV4. I have zero tailwheel time but I’d like to change that with some training.

If anyone knows where I can get some tailwheel training in the Victoria or Vancouver area in BC, Canada please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,
The Vans tailwheel aircraft are pretty easy to fly so getting time in any tailwheel aircraft will set you up for a very short transition to your aircraft.

Does your RV have full dual controls?

Dave,
The Vans tailwheel aircraft are pretty easy to fly so getting time in any tailwheel aircraft will set you up for a very short transition to your aircraft.

Does your RV have full dual controls?

However easy they are to fly, please don’t attempt to fly or even taxi without proper instruction. There have been way too many planes getting wrecked lately for no good reason. I know someone who put a tailwheel plane on its nose because they were just taxing at a walking pace without a tailwheel endorsement..

Insurance requirements

Dave,

If you haven’t already done so, find out what your insurance company requires before committing to any specific training plan. But be prepared to negotiate those requirements if necessary. Mine initially required 10 hours dual in the RV3. We eventually agreed on an alternative plan. :)

Good luck and enjoy your new bird.

Richard

Good day,

I’m brand new to the RV club, I’ve just purchased a Vans RV4. I have zero tailwheel time but I’d like to change that with some training.

If anyone knows where I can get some tailwheel training in the Victoria or Vancouver area in BC, Canada please point me in the right direction.

Cheers
Dave

I have reached out to my RV tailwheel instructor to see who is available for training locally.

Tail wheel training

Hello Dave,
I was in the same boat as you, newly purchased RV3B with zero tail wheel time. It took me 5 months before I could track down someone with the right plane and willing to check me out in a tail wheeler.
I eventually was pointed in the direction of a fellow by the name of Scott in Langley BC with an RV6 with proper controls set up for dual instruction.
I won't post his contact information here, as he might not appreciate me doing that. He is very competent, not cheap and quite willing to introduce you to aerobatics as well.
PM me if you would like his contact info.
Cheers

Thanks!

Hello Dave,
I was in the same boat as you, newly purchased RV3B with zero tail wheel time. It took me 5 months before I could track down someone with the right plane and willing to check me out in a tail wheeler.
I eventually was pointed in the direction of a fellow by the name of Scott in Langley BC with an RV6 with proper controls set up for dual instruction.
I won't post his contact information here, as he might not appreciate me doing that. He is very competent, not cheap and quite willing to introduce you to aerobatics as well.
PM me if you would like his contact info.
Cheers

Hi richard, thanks, PM sent

Scott was my guy as well.... but he is very choosy about who he trains. I had many hours in formation with him, so he knew me and trusted me not to bend his airplane.

That's why I have asked him for a referral to other tail wheel instructors.

Last edited:
Good day,

Cheers
Dave
Call your local FBO's and see if they have a Citabria or Cub. Get your sign off (in USA you need a tail wheel endorsement).

You have the option to put in rear rudder peddles and throttle, and get some dual in your plane. FYI in USA training in EAB (experimental kit planes) had been thrown on it's head recently.

I use to north of Seattle and base my plane at Arlington. I'd help you out but I moved to the other coast. Check the EAA chapters in Seattle areas. There are a LOT of RV's in North West WA....

CFC at Boundary Bay does tail wheel training in a Citabria or Super Decathlon.
Good Luck.

VV

CFC at Boundary Bay does tail wheel training in a Citabria or Super Decathlon.
Good Luck.

VV

Just finished 2 days of training with CFC in Pitt Meadows, they have a Cotabria there. I flew about 7 hours over those two days and learned a lot! I flew primarily with an excellent instructor there named Pedro, I highly recommend CFC they are very professional and their Citabria is very nice.
I think that training has sufficiently prepared me for a transition into the RV4. Of course I still have a lot to learn but I believe I have started laying a good foundation.

Until you get some flying time in you lose a lot of what you learned in 7 hours. Don't let too much time go by before you add more tailwheel time.:)

RV4 training

I live on the east coast. I bought a 1/2 share in an RV4 with no rear rudder pedals. My partner and owner of the other 1/2 is a CFI and has owned a 4 in the past but I'd like to find an RV4 transition instructor who owns an RV4 with rear rudder pedals on the east coast. I have tail wheel time and have a few hairy hours in my RV4 but would feel better (and so would my friend/partner/instructor) if I was relearning tail wheel with rudder pedals in the rear.
Any help would be appreciated

Back