What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear window

JwWright57

Well Known Member
Hey folks I’m getting ready to install the rear window and looking at the instructions they call for fuel tank sealant on the turtle deck skins but nothing on the roll bar. Whats to stop water from coming in here? Is that an issue?

Or as some have suggested skip this altogether? The window certainly would not be removable if it’s prosealed on.

When doing the proseal, make sure to use plenty of it between the aluminum and rear window so when the bolts are tightened the proseal is fully covering both parts. It’s easy to clean up any excess squeezed out with a popsicle stick tool fabricated as the instructions show.

For some reason unknown to me, water doesn’t seem to make it inside via the roll bar and rear window attachment point. I haven’t flown in the 12 in super rainy conditions; it a plane and not a boat. ;)

Hope that helps.

I just redid my rear with the new plexiglass and opted to use black silicone to match the color of my plane based on the reports that the plexiglass was less impervious to the fuel. Ironically my lexan window lasted 5 years in temps that ranged from 0 to 120 degrees and cracked on the left side. Never did spill fuel on the lexan.

I did not use pro seal. I taped the window and aluminum leaving a 1/8” gap along the joint after installing and applied clear silicone sealant. I pulled up the tape before the sealant set. That leaves a nice bead sealing the window at the edge of the aluminum and simplifies window removal in the future. I used the process on the original flat Lexan window and the replacement molded window. Seems to work fine although in AZ we don’t get a lot of rain.

I did not use pro seal. I taped the window and aluminum leaving a 1/8” gap along the joint after installing and applied clear silicone sealant. I pulled up the tape before the sealant set. That leaves a nice bead sealing the window at the edge of the aluminum and simplifies window removal in the future. I used the process on the original flat Lexan window and the replacement molded window. Seems to work fine although in AZ we don’t get a lot of rain.

Thanks bud, that was my idea also.

Back