What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What prop

Chipper G

Well Known Member
So it’s time to get a prop! I know there are a lot of variables but need some advice. I have the xio360 180HP and I am looking at the 3 blade composite from MT. Mainly for the look. Not looking for blistering speed and I operate off of 9000 ft paved at sea level. Any advice

So it’s time to get a prop! I know there are a lot of variables but need some advice. I have the xio360 180HP and I am looking at the 3 blade composite from MT. Mainly for the look. Not looking for blistering speed and I operate off of 9000 ft paved at sea level. Any advice

The best bang for all around performance is the Hartzell blended airfoil. If you have money to burn, the composite two blade props from Hartzell or Whirlwind are light weight performers. It’s been my experience that the MT props don’t wear well.. they develop cracks in their finish, heard they aren’t structural cracks but they look bad in short order. They are also slow.. I flew a -7 with 200hp that couldn’t do 155 knots.. I don’t think that was all the props fault but I think you are leaving speed behind for the “cool” factor on the ground. You can’t see the 3 blade look while flying.. plus the 3 blades are harder to get your lower cowling off, and good luck boxing it up if you need to send it out for overhaul.. I’m going to be looking at the whirlwind 2 blade composite prop when it’s time for me.. the MT 3 blade would be last on my list out of the choices out there..

WW

I have a WW composite prop. 74HRT I believe. They were very helpful when it came time to pick a prop. I told them what I do, and they gave me a recommendation. The prop looks, and performs great! I’d definitely buy another.

Back