What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importing an RV7 or RV14

rspall

I'm New Here
Fellow Canadians...

Trying to find a decent RV14 or RV7 in Canada seems challenging, so I am resigned to purchasing one in the US and importing it.

Any pointers / suggestions for the complexity and cost of the import process?

Once deregistered in the US, how long should I plan on my aircraft sitting in a Canadian hangar waiting for Canadian paperwork, registration etc - assuming no issues during its certification inspection? I have both US and Canadian PPL's, so after transition training, myself and a PPL friend can do my own ferry flight, but I know as soon as it is deregistered from US, it is stuck in limbo until it is re-registered in Canada.

Can anyone provide names / contacts for RV importing in the Toronto area?

Of course, if anyone knows of a decent Canadian RV7 / 14 for sale, please let me know... Under 12 years old, preferably IO and constant speed, low hours, IFR (or easily upgradable to IFR or priced so that I can replace the panel myself). I would even consider a 90 - 95 percent completed Canadian build I can finish off!

Thanks

I have an R7A kit (empennage and wings) that is untouched as its about to be shipped to me from the Vans factory. Due to space limitations I cannot build it.

Advantage buying from me instead of ordering a kit is there is no wait.

I ordered this on July 25th 2021. If you order one now from the factory the delivery will be in 9 months! Not the 3-4 months they claim.

I had my RV-6 de-registered when it was still in the US, and re-registered with the Canadian letters before I flew it back. It'll take longer now to get TC to do the registration, but should still be possible. I wrote up the process when I did it, and it was published in the RAA's Recreational Flyer. March/April 2010 edition. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

RV-7 SOON TO BE ''FOR SALE''

For potential buyers in Canada and the US...

A friend of a friend of mine will soon advertised his RV-7 for sale..

I haven't seen the aircraft yet ( will soon ) but I've been told that it is a very nice RV-7 with Advanced Avionics EFIS and a very nice paint job. That's all I know for now..

I will post more info once I get it..Keep an eye out for it..

Bruno

There's a 7A for sale on the Canadian aviation for sale FB site.

That having been said, if you wish to import, be aware that Transport Canada is not being held to any performance standards these days. They'll get your registration done when it's done. The guys out west are in better shape than we are in Ontario - the Toronto office is pretty much at a dead standstill. Unless you can find some way to motivate folks to do it, you'll be waiting 3 months or more for a new C of R.

Also, if importing, make sure you are fully educated on the complete import procedure. The MD-RA website has been updated with the most current process data, forms etc.

There generally aren't too many difficulties with import inspections, however some aircraft haven't had the advantage of build quality oversight that we have here in Canada. This isn't specific just to RV's but amateur-built aircraft in general. Some of them are truly excellent while some have the odd rough spot that needs to be addressed before a Special C of A can be issued. Be particularly careful about manufacturer's Service Bulletin compliance - Van's have issued some excellent and extremely pertinent bulletins, especially around edge distance margins in attaching the tail. You want to ensure your pre-buy in the US has these points thoroughly addressed so you don't end up with an unwelcome surprise.

Importing a light aircraft from the USA to CANADA is no longer a walk in the park especially since COVID hit town.

As long as you have tons of patience and the money to go along with it then anyone can get it done.

I’ve imported lots of planes from the USA over the years and it’s taking longer each year that goes by plus it’s getting more expensive.

If there is any chance of getting your plane in CANADA don’t even consider importing as it’s going to take a long time plus you will pay a premium and probably a substantial one.

The only benefit in buying in the USA……it’s a big one…..is choice!

No one is giving RV’s away down south and in most cases the sellers are not negotiating plus if they are it may not be a good choice. When you factor in your travel time, hotels, meals etc just to look at aircraft and then more travel time to have it really well inspected prior to purchase it’s an expensive lookyloo period. It’s easy enough to get your temporary Canadian registration for your ferry flight but there are many months following to turn that into a C of R. When we bought our RV we looked at 7 aircraft prior to finding our keeper. Pictures may be worth a thousand words but I’d never buy an aircraft based on pictures, just too much hidden. Remember the 7 planes we looked at were preceded by hundreds of pictures but obviously were not up to expectations when viewed in person. Pretty paint jobs and leather interiors do not make a really well built and maintained aircraft.

Now I actually enjoy the process, always have but it’s a lot of work, a lot of money and you have to get it right.

These are not certified aircraft and while kit built to great designs they are all built to different standards, some better than certified, many equal to certified and a fair number mediocre.

Once in Canada after it’s registered you have to hire a MDRA inspector which is a private service that coordinates with transport CANADA to insure it meets CofA standards in Canada before you can get a CofA. These fees are not dirt cheap and depending on the condition of the aircraft you may have a list of items required to be completed. Expect to do a new weight and balance, not paper work, reweighing the aircraft.

All in all it’s lots of stuff, nothing terribly hard but just a long bloody process and Transport Canada is slow as ****, many months slow. A friend of mine bought an experimental plane and he’s into it over a year and still not finished, it wasn’t an RV and there were a few issues but everyone is waiting these days.

Whatever you do, do your homework well….good luck!:)

Continuing to monitor VAF and Other places

Folk...

Comments much appreciated, and very helpful.

My wife told me about the FB RV7! I never saw FB as a place to sell aircraft, but that is now added to my daily list of "places to check". Unfortunately, this one didn't check enough of my boxes and I don't want to waste peoples time when I probably won't buy.

Meanwhile, feel free to PM me if anyone knows of an RV7 / 7A or 14 / 14A for sale - or Canadian kit that is 90+ percent completed. Not sure if it saves the seller any time or effort by having a buyer already available, but I am definitely in the market to buy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back