What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Advice on Running the Pitot and AOA Lines from Panel

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Looking for advice on how to run my SafeAir Pitot and AOA lines from the instrument panel to the left wing. I have searched and found some posts but none with pics (or the pics have been removed/blocked). Solution I have now, but not implemented, is to run both lines along the left longeron to the channel created by the F-704K Upright Cap down to the W-704-L Front Wing Spare Assembly and F-704 Center Section Assembly. While I have not mount the wings for the last time and before I start poking holes in the center section, I would like to know if my selected routing position will have enough clearance for the Pitot and AOA lines between the Upright cap, Wing Spare Assembly bar and the F-740-L Front Seat Floor pan? It?s not clear in the drawings if there will be enough clearance or not so looking for confirmation or suggestions for routing these lines.

(Sorry for the link below, but I am somewhat challenged getting images to insert)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8E4zpu2wBVnGcsNK8

Thanks,

Yours appears to be an A model. Mine is not so I am not sure if it is the same.

I ran mine down through the centre tunnel, under the fuel valve, along the front of the main spar adjacent to the fuel line, through the spar web using the predrilled holes, out to the wing after drilling a hole in the fuse where needed and using a snap bushing.

Hope the description makes sense as I don't have any pics.

Al

Your proposed solution would likely require sharp bend in the tubing to get through the forward spar.

Depending on your wiring plans, there should be ample room in the specified spar pass-through snap bushings. Vans has also approved additional pass-through holes, as long as they are placed in the correct location in the spar.

If you will have an all glass panel (no steam gauges), there is no need to route them to the panel. You'd likely mount AHRS boxes in the fuselage and route them to the back, instead.

.................If you will have an all glass panel (no steam gauges), there is no need to route them to the panel. You'd likely mount AHRS boxes in the fuselage and route them to the back, instead.

Unless your installing a Garmin GSU-25 AHRS module, then that mounts behind the EFIS. (at least that's what SteinAir is telling me)

Dan -

I believe there is insufficient room for the routing you are describing.

Here is an alternative routing you might consider. Continue the run along the longeron past 704 center section to the 705 bulkhead, then down through the arm rest into the compartment formed by the seat pan, lower skin and left side skin. Once under the seat pan you can penetrate the skin to connect with the wing pitot/static lines

Pros:
Provides your lines with protection for most of the run.
Keeps the pitot/static lines away from the flight controls and any wiring runs you have in that area.

Cons:
Longer runs
Routing around the tipper locking mechanism may be interesting.

I have a 7 so probably different in some ways. I ran the static line under the left longeron, but the routings of the AOA and pitot was right down the middle, through extra holes in the spar (approved drawing available) then entered the wing aft of the spar so it did not have to go through the fuel tank. A little practice will have you heating and bending that tubing like a pro. Otherwise, it is really hard to make the tight bends necessary. I ran mine near the spar in the wing - bad idea, run them well aft and line up the holes in the wing rib - that way they can be installed in one piece after the wing is bolted on.

While you are at it, be sure to fill the opening on the forward part of the spar, lest it blow frosty air on you in the winter.

What you are suggesting is what I did, if I recall correctly, and it worked fine. Remember, instead of bending the tubing, you can also add 90 degree safe air quick disconnect fittings. I used some near the spar, to change direction and head out into the left wing. 4 years and two pitot static inspections passed with flying colors.

Back