What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft insurance in Canada

Glen P

What insurance companies are you Canadian owners using? I got a quote from Magnes for COPA VIP Gold. $2893 premium for $80K hull value and $1M liability on an RV7. It would require 10 hrs dual flight instruction on type with a CFI. As a retired military/professional pilot I have lots of total hours but not many tailwheel or on type.

Since you need 10 hours I would recommend five hours in a cub, Citabria etc.
These will be fun hours on a plane that is not expensive to operate. Then get some time with someone who the insurance company recommends. I used to be listed with a couple of insurance companies if RV guys needed a checkout. It has been five years or so since I have checked any one out and I may no longer be on their list.
Check with pilots at Brampton and Burlington, I am sure that you will find someone closer than I am.

Last edited:
Marshwings

Since you need 10 hours I would recommend five hours in a cub, Citabria etc.
These will be fun hours on a plane that is not expensive to operate. Then get some time with someone who the insurance company recommends. I used to be listed with a couple of insurance companies if RV guys needed a checkout. It has been five years or so since I have checked any one out and I may no longer be on their list.
Check with pilots at Brampton and Burlington, I am sure that you will find someone closer than I am.

Try Marshwings, saved me $600 from others

Glen,

I recommend Marsh. Try Steve Landry, Assistant Vice President, Aviation and Aerospace. 416-349-4581.

Cheers, Tom

Recommendation #3 for Marsh.

Although I just got my renewal notice, and while filling out the online form was asked "Does this aircraft have a Special Certificate of Airworthiness?" to which the answer is "Yes," but the dropdown list that shows up afterwards only offers Restricted, Limited, or Provisional as options... not Amateur-Built... I've emailed them to see what they're expecting here. This question is new on this year's application.

update

I just wanted to add to this that I have been shopping for current rates, should I pull the trigger on one of the 4's I have been looking at.

Rates were $3200-3400 (after tax), with one still yet to come in.

Requirements were different, one was 5 hours by CFI
The other was 2 hours CFI and one hour solo before passengers allowed.
Previously, on a 9A quote (added to my friends) it was 5 CFI or Commercial Pilot who has time on type. Don't have any CPL's here with that. But a member here has offered to help me out, should I need it. I think by going somewhere, I will be able to find someone. Few tailwheels here and no conventional RV's

Last edited:
Those rates are about right for your first year with a tailwheel RV. In my experience they will come down as you gain more experience in the plane and on type without making any claims... :)

Back