What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Another figure 8 dimple hole

Everwild

Well Known Member
Hi all. I screwed up and put a "figure 8" dimple hole in one of my horizontal stab skins. Fortunately it's on a bottom trailing edge. So my fix is to put two rivets equal distance on either side. I drilled out any raggedness from the male die. I plan on putting some JB Weld in the damaged hole, and rivet all 3. Good plan?

I thought about just using JB Weld and a rivet in the damaged hole, or go up to a 4, but this seems like the approach most recommended?

Let me know if it's going to fall out of the sky. :)

Attachments

• IMG_5380.jpg
    IMG_5380.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 270
the plan

Sounds like a plan! Assume that you mean that you will rivet first, and then apply JB weld? For the central rivet, I would set it a bit lighter than normal, so as to not distort the damaged hole.

Sounds like a plan! Assume that you mean that you will rivet first, and then apply JB weld? For the central rivet, I would set it a bit lighter than normal, so as to not distort the damaged hole.

Was thinking I would rivet all of the holes except the damaged hole. While at it, I would carefully put a little dab of JB weld under and around where the errant hole is and let it cure. Probably clamp it with a cleco clamp to make sure it's flat against the spar. Then come back and carefully use a countersink and drill bit to clean up the cured JB weld. Once satisfied, then put the middle rivet in.

Riveting on top of cured epoxy

I have found that cured epoxy is just not strong enough to stand up to the pressures associated with riveting. Imagine setting a very small piece of cured epoxy on an anvil and hitting it with a hammer.

Cosmetically you are better off filling after you drive your rivet.

I have found that cured epoxy is just not strong enough to stand up to the pressures associated with riveting. Imagine setting a very small piece of cured epoxy on an anvil and hitting it with a hammer.

Cosmetically you are better off filling after you drive your rivet.

Thanks for the feedback. OK. Thinking I'll do the JB Weld during the riveting process, touch it up and let it cure with the rivets in.

With the amount of rivets you now have near that hole don't bother trying to rivet it. Not needed. Just fill the hole with body filler at painting time.

exactly which JB weld are you using? when I have gone to the shop, there are about 20 to choose from.

JB Weld

Leave it open. Fill it after assembly. If JBWeld, smush it in the hole leaving it proud. When it partially sets, slice it off flush with a razor blade. Done deal.

Back