What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aft Oil Pressure Port Woes

snoopyflys

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I removed the aft facing oil pressure port plug using an extractor tool and some heat as suggested by another thread here. Worked great, until it came time to install the restrictor fitting. I put a little Fuel Lube on the threads of the fitting and hand threaded the fitting into the hole until it stopped turning. In this position, the flared end was facing the upper motor mount. So, I grapped my trusty 5/16 crows foot, ratchet wrench and proceeded to slowly turn it about a 1/4 turn away from the motor mount. So far so good. Went to turn it another 1/4 turn when the fitting fell out of the hole. :eek: With it was a very small ring, which I figured was a thread.:mad:. Just could not believe it as I made sure it was threaded correctly by hand before using a tool. Inspected the fitting and no cross threads but hole in the accessory case seems to be missing an outside thread. Does this warrant removing the accessory case to fix or can I clean up the out threads with a tap set, carefully?

Thanks,

Fitting

I have found quite a bit of variation in thread size, especially on small fittings. One option is to buy a couple of fittings from different vendors and see how they fit. Another option is to buy a brass automotive fitting and try that. All of the certified Pitts aircraft used automotive fittings. You can make your own restrictor fitting from a rivet and press it in to the fitting.
Try to find a fitting that will screw into the accessory case at least three turns dry without using a wrench. Then remove it and put the sealant on the threads.
Another option is to use the front end of the right gallery for oil pressure pickup. This will read about 10 psi less than acc. case location.

Back