What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Short pilots and RVs

bingeflying

I'm New Here
Howdy all,

Was curious if anyone would like to share their experiences with the -7, -9, -10, -12, and -14 as far as “stock” seating and pedal positions go. There is a lot of talk about how the -10 and -14 do well with large, wide, tall pilots, but not much with the short ones. I am 5’ 4” and my pilot wife is even shorter. I would love something bigger and more capable than a -12, but fear I would really have to modify anything else to properly fit. I would prefer not to use cushions and keep modifications to a minimum.

Any advice is appreciated!

-7 & -9 should not be a problem as the seat back can be mounted forward as much as you like. and the overhead rudder pedals can be moved aft to accommodate short legs.

I’m 5’6” and have a stock -10. I mounted the rudder/brake pedals in the most aft (towards the seat) of the available stock positions. I usually fly with the seat one notch (3/4”) back from full forward, so I think full forward would work okay for you. For your spouse you might have to mount some blocks on the pedals, to extend them aft. I think Tim Olson (here on VAF) did this for his wife or daughter.

I’m 5’6” and have a stock -10. I mounted the rudder/brake pedals in the most aft (towards the seat) of the available stock positions. I usually fly with the seat one notch (3/4”) back from full forward, so I think full forward would work okay for you. For your spouse you might have to mount some blocks on the pedals, to extend them aft. I think Tim Olson (here on VAF) did this for his wife or daughter.

I'm 5'7 and have no problem fitting my stock RV-10 or RV-6. I mounted the rudder pedals in the "aft" position in both aircraft.

7A. 5’3”

I built a 7A. I’m 5’3” (on a good day!)

It is not as easy as some might suggest with cushions etc. because you can only go so far forward before the “wedding vegetables” run into the stick!

Van himself told me I could delete the linkages on the rudder cables and put the rudder pedals as far back as possible. I did this.

I got Classic Aero sportsman seats and a cushion for under the bottom. I put my seats in the forward position, tilted to the most forward position.

In this configuration, I can just about make it work.

After 400 hours I also got some rudder pedal extensions - they only help the rudder not the brakes. These are from https://aerosportproducts.com. Well worth the money and very good quality.

Hope that helps!
..lance

Edit: I’ve sat in a -10 with the seat forward and it felt OK, but I can’t give a real opinion on it from that.

Last edited:
I’m 5’6”. My -9A has rudder pedals mounted in the stock position. I finally moved the seat back forward one hinge row, and I slip the one-inch riser cushion that Abby supplied under the pilot’s seat cushion. I wasn’t having any particular trouble before, not having any trouble now.

Last edited:
Your inseam is really more relevant than your height. I'm also 5'4", but my inseam is 27", so those are some pretty short legs.

I have an RV6, but I believe the seat configuration is similar to the other side by side models.

I have the seat all the forward (most forward of 3 hinge rows) and I fly with a 2" foam pad behind my lower back. This works well for me, so I left the rudder pedals where they were when I bought the plane, no extensions etc. If your legs are a little longer, you could probably skip the foam pad.

Last edited:
I'm 5'5" and I can push the pedals to the stops barely. If I have to be pushing one pedal close to a stop while hitting the brake, well it's close. This is with the seat at the closest (fourth) piano hinge, the wedge under the pilot cushion and a 1" cushion behind my back. I can't use a 2" cushion behind my back because the seatbelt won't close.

I'm looking into moving the rudder pedals aft. The builder drilled a hole in a rudder pedal brace that looks off center and I may have to engineer some support before making any moves.

So far I haven't had majorly gusting winds but we'll see how the current setup works heading into the fall.

Just ordered a set of those Aerosport pedal extensions @ginge mentioned. Should help in the air and on landings. Then just have to worry about taxiing.

My wife is 4'10". Not easy to fit her into any airplane so that she can see over the instrument panel...

Back