What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New phase after 6 year journey

Roy Thoma

Well Known Member
What a long, great trip it's been. WOW!

Captain Sandy (aka Sunshine) and I both stopped working May 12 2016. Purchased Airstream at the end of March 2017. We joined the Rosie organized RV flying trip from Florida to St. Kitts, Grenada and St. Croix in April of 2017. Purchased 2011 long wheelbase, Duramax Chevy Express Van from Florida in July of 2017 with DanH's help. Sold Hillsboro Oregon house in August. Kept the rental hangar at KHIO with lots of our stuff in it. Left Oregon with the Van/Airstream in December of 2017. Spent lots of fall winters with Airstream in AZ based in Ajo near P01 while using N174RT to explore the country. Spent most of summers on Sailing Vessel Tranquility (1990 36' Catalina sailboat) based on Orcas Island. Of course N174RT was at KORS when we were living on Tranquility. A few of our VAF/RV friends spent time with us on Tranquility. We visited with the RV-heavy at some of our RV/VAF friends as we traveled. Talked to Dan & Karen about Hensley Airpark while at Pettit Jean 2019. We looked at houses in Hensley Airpark after PJ 2019. Took pictures of Dan & Karen's ground breaking for them while looking at houses. Bought the lot across the street from Dan & Karen at Hensley Airpark in Nov 2019 after the houses we looked at did not work out. Sold Tranquility in the fall of 2021. Broke ground for 1800 square foot house and 54' x 76' hangar Feb of 2022. Moved the Airstream to an RV park near Hensley Airpark area spring of 2022. Moved the Airstream into our hangar with full hookups in August. Moved our stuff from Oregon to our hangar in the fall of 2022. Got Certificate of Occupancy last week. Waited a week for the concrete ramp/driveway to cure. Taxied N174RT from a neighbor's hangar to her new home Saturday!

We have had a few VAF/Pettit Jean friends visit at Hensley since we bought the airpark property. Look forward to many more visitors.

Attachments

• 0CC705C9-0DBF-4FFE-B8F4-DAD334CBCBAD.jpeg
    0CC705C9-0DBF-4FFE-B8F4-DAD334CBCBAD.jpeg
    828.4 KB · Views: 256
  • 68F3A1A4-0DAA-40E5-AEC4-A4A3CC6DC36B.jpg
    68F3A1A4-0DAA-40E5-AEC4-A4A3CC6DC36B.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 241
  • 8F31E0DC-A48A-42B0-8BC6-895C1383F631.jpg
    8F31E0DC-A48A-42B0-8BC6-895C1383F631.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 376
  • 2F001CDA-63E3-4987-B8C1-67A4C45DF063.jpg
    2F001CDA-63E3-4987-B8C1-67A4C45DF063.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 383
Congratulations and welcome to Airpark Life. Nothing like relaxing at home and hear the sound of airplanes. And being able to jump in the plane whenever the mood suites you.

Roberta:)

Captain Sandy (aka Sunshine) and I both stopped working May 12 2016. Purchased Airstream at the end of March 2017. We joined the Rosie organized RV flying trip from Florida to St. Kitts, Grenada and St. Croix in April of 2017. Purchased 2011 long wheelbase, Duramax Chevy Express Van from Florida in July of 2017 with DanH's help. Sold Hillsboro Oregon house in August. Kept the rental hangar at KHIO with lots of our stuff in it. Left Oregon with the Van/Airstream in December of 2017. Spent lots of fall winters with Airstream in AZ based in Ajo near P01 while using N174RT to explore the country. Spent most of summers on Sailing Vessel Tranquility (1990 36' Catalina sailboat) based on Orcas Island. Of course N174RT was at KORS when we were living on Tranquility. A few of our VAF/RV friends spent time with us on Tranquility. We visited with the RV-heavy at some of our RV/VAF friends as we traveled. Talked to Dan & Karen about Hensley Airpark while at Pettit Jean 2019. We looked at houses in Hensley Airpark after PJ 2019. Took pictures of Dan & Karen's ground breaking for them while looking at houses. Bought the lot across the street from Dan & Karen at Hensley Airpark in Nov 2019 after the houses we looked at did not work out. Sold Tranquility in the fall of 2021. Broke ground for 1800 square foot house and 54' x 76' hangar Feb of 2022. Moved the Airstream to an RV park near Hensley Airpark area spring of 2022. Moved the Airstream into our hangar with full hookups in August. Moved our stuff from Oregon to our hangar in the fall of 2022. Got Certificate of Occupancy last week. Waited a week for the concrete ramp/driveway to cure. Taxied N174RT from a neighbor's hangar to her new home Saturday!

We have had a few VAF/Pettit Jean friends visit at Hensley since we bought the airpark property. Look forward to many more visitors.

I recognized the red spinner RV from several of the local Saturday breakfast here in east Tennessee, then remembered I have met you several times at MNV and talked about your hangar project at Hensley. George

At the risk of insulting you..Do you have a hanger pig or is that a really fat dog?
Mike

Roy, Sandy-----congrats on the new phase of life.

You are gonna love that Higher Power door.

Did you put a door for the trailer on the street side of the hangar?

The Long Great Trip.........

Captain Sandy (aka Sunshine) and I both stopped working May 12 2016.....

Excellent! That is what some might call "doing it right....."! Adventure.....

"Four hoarse blasts of a ship's whistle still rise the hair on my neck and set my feet to tapping. The sound of a jet, an engine warming up, even the clopping of shod hooves on pavement brings on the ancient shudder, the dry mouth and vacant eye, the hot palms and the churn of stomach high up under the rib cage.....once a bum, always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable...."
John Steinbeck Travels with Charley

Good thing you have an RV and kept the Airstream. You might have The Always-a-Bum Disease....:):):)

I love living at our airpark! Wake up; scratch and stretch; walk out to the hangar and go flying......can't beat that....

Doesn't the airplane noise bother you? Yes: I have to keep jumping up to go see who it is!:D

With envy

Sounds like you are both "livin the dream".
Daddyman

Congrats guys! Truly living the dream.
Don't worry about making the bed, I'll bring my own sheets! See ya soon.

Outstanding you Two, can’t wait to visit again!

Attachments

• 3AAF0F79-890E-4E19-9C2F-3257D3886AEB.jpg
    3AAF0F79-890E-4E19-9C2F-3257D3886AEB.jpg
    352.3 KB · Views: 120
  • F8D72B44-3D54-4C92-A0CE-B9F2FB5C69FB.jpg
    F8D72B44-3D54-4C92-A0CE-B9F2FB5C69FB.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 113
All, our relatively short time living at Hensley has been GREAT.

George, yes we have met at least a few times. We were one of four or five planes that flew to 2TN7 for an EAA meeting that started with a potluck.

MikeyB, the concrete pig has been in my family for many decades. I don't remember where my father got it.

Mike S, we do love the 48' x 14' Higher Power door which faces the street/taxiway so the trailer goes into the hangar using the same "entrance" as the plane.

Bill, the Airstream is a 2012 FB 25' Eddie Bauer. Could you tell it's an Eddie Bauer from the pictures or did you see that in my signature? We spent about 18 months trying to decide what RV we wanted for our house on wheels when this Airstream came on the market, Capt Sandy fell in love with it. Nothing is perfect and it's been a GREAT Little Silver House. Maybe you remember us, Capt Sandy and I spent some time with you and the gang at Osh 2022. I was an early employee at Compaq Computer.

Scott, Andy, Andrew, Marvin, Dan, Sid and others - let us know when you are coming to visit.

Regards,

Attachments

• 30A379D4-9BFB-407D-8C2B-F6D1E0205E3D.jpg
    30A379D4-9BFB-407D-8C2B-F6D1E0205E3D.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 83
Wonderful!

Roy and Sandy,
A wonderful day to celebrate! Kelli and I look forward to the day...:)

Back