What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator mount conflicts

RVFan671

Well Known Member
In my 91 RV-4 with 0-360 A1A it had the original vans alternator. It went out and at the time I decided to go with the automotive replacement that was identical (35A part number 14184). It fit and now I'm replacing it with an automotive 55A part number 14684. I've converted it to externally regulate but the mounting ears don't fit.

From many threads, the 14684 should fit and work great. However it doesn't seem to fit between the ears on the bracket. Is there a different bracket or is the common suggestion to machine down the ear on the alternator case? I have the vams bracket part VA-151-2 (although mine might not be a -1 or -2 since it was built in 91).

Some alternators have a bushing at the rear of the attach side that is press fit and can be moved inward to fit your "U" bracket. Moving it (if it exists) by clamping it in a vice.

Yeah, it has the bushing and it'll need to be adjusted. But there is still a conflict between the alternator case body and the alternator mounting bracket. The forward end of the forward ear on the alternator case is what would need to be machined so it fits in the bracket and to obtain pull alignment at the same time.

Follow up conclusion

The VA 151-2 alternator bracket does in fact have different spacing between the ears compared to my original which must've been the 151 or the 151-1. My original fit the 35A externally regulated alternator perfectly between ears. The new 151-2 bracket I bought fits the 55A internally regulated (I converted to externally) perfectly.

So if you have a conflict in the future as you attempt to upgrade to the 55A unit, make sure you've got the newest revision bracket.

Does anyone have actual dimensions on various alternator brackets? I tried probably 3 or 4 different ones and none of them worked with the admittedly non-standard alternator I picked. Resorted to making/welding my own that hopefully stands up to use, but it would still be nice to have a better one.

Back