What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTX Transponder Software Updates for Experimental Owners

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Good Afternoon,

It has often been requested that we make software updates available for owners and operators of Experimental aircraft who have our transponders installed in their aircraft. We are happy to announce we have made a GTX 35R/GTX 45R/GTX 3X5 Series transponder software update tool available for download for experimental aircraft owners and operators.

These software updates have always been available for free, but required a trip to a Garmin Authorized Dealer to perform, which was often associated with a labor charge for performing the update. The release of this tool will allow owners of these transponders to update their system software without requiring a visit to your local Garmin dealer.

This link contains a folder which includes everything that is required for the update. A detailed users guide is included in the folder which will explain how to perform the update. We recommend opening the users guide first and reviewing it closely before attempting an update. Here is an overview of the files contained in the folder:
  • GTX_3X5_Software_Loading_Tool_guide.pdf - Users Guide
  • setup_gtx.exe - Software Update Tool
  • 006-B2466-0G_0A.gca - Software GCA File
  • 2179B.pdf - Service Bulletin Document
It must be noted that the software update process on these units is sensitive to power or data interruptions. It is imperative that the software update is not disturbed while in progress. If this occurs, the unit may not be recoverable, and in that case would need to be exchanged. Out of warranty charges may apply in this case. If you do not have the means to maintain sufficient power to the unit while on the ground, we recommend continuing to use your Garmin dealer to perform these updates.

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions getting the tool up and running.

Thanks,

Justin

Excellent, welcome news! I just had to do one of those Trips To A Garmin Dealer, only to watch them whip out pretty simple looking software and press a few buttons. Great that this capability is now in the builder/owner’s hands!

Does the software contain the same diagnostic screens/views that the dealer’s software has? They were able to do quite a bit of troubleshooting while they were doing the update to my 45R.

Might be worth mentioning that it looks like the updater software is Microsoft Windows only, which may present a minor roadblock (got to find a windows laptop to use it).

Thank you, Garmin!

Good Afternoon,

It has often been requested that we make software updates available for owners and operators of Experimental aircraft who have our transponders installed in their aircraft. We are happy to announce we have made a GTX 35R/GTX 45R/GTX 3X5 Series transponder software update tool available for download for experimental aircraft owners and operators.

The GTX 23ES is not invited to the party?

Mac support

As a long time Apple user (iMac), I would surely appreciate support for using the Mac computers.

Thank you!

The GTX 23ES is not invited to the party?

Not trying to jump into this but, the 23ES has to be done on the bench with a test connector you make and then tie it to your computer via serial port and a 232 converter unless you made special provisions for this when you installed it, it was not equipped with a 'dongle' and special port for updates like the newer units are.

Last edited:
Not trying to jump into this but, the 23ES has to be done on the bench with a test connector you make and then tie it to your computer via serial port and a 232 converter unless you made special provisions for this when you installed it, it was not equipped with a 'dongle' and special port for updates like the newer units are.
Thanks Walt. Do you know historically how often/how many times there have been updates released for the 23ES?

Thanks Walt. Do you know historically how often/how many times there have been updates released for the 23ES?

Not that many, the latest is 8.04 which came out in 2019
Prior to that was 8.02 which came out in 2015.
If the things below don't effect you then no real reason to upgrade from 8.02 to 8.04.
If you have something prior to 8.02 an update would be a good idea.

8.04 details:
Software version 8.04 incorporates the following updates:
• Addressed air/ground determination issues and added the ability to configure the aircraft stall speed.
• Addressed FAA note to manufacturers regarding the use of geometric type codes when operating in ON mode.
• Updated the ADS-B Out CPR encoding to improve position accuracy near latitude zone transitions.
• Improved ARINC 743A input data processing.
• Added the GNS serial format, to accept GPS and height above terrain data from GNS 400W/500W Series devices.
• Expanded the air/ground determination algorithm to utilize additional sensor data such as Height Above Terrain and nearest airport data, when available.
• Added the ability to disable the automatic transition to ALT mode on takeoff, by configuration.
• Updated the outside air temperature and density altitude displays to improve consistency with other Garmin equipment

Not that many, the latest is 8.04 which came out in 2019
Prior to that was 8.02 which came out in 2015.
If the things below don't effect you then no real reason to upgrade from 8.02 to 8.04.
If you have something prior to 8.02 an update would be a good idea.

Thanks for the excellent info, Walt.

THANK YOU Justin and the G3X team!

For fellow Mac users running machines with M1 chips, Parallels may be an option to run this application on Windows in a virtual machine until/unless Garmin releases a Mac version. If you're on an Intel chipset, you'll still have BootCamp to do the same thing.

The computer-to-transponder connection is USB (on the 45R, at least) so unless the Garmin app does something that isn't USB compliant, a Windows VM application should work. Perhaps Justin or someone else from Garmin can chime in on that.

Dave

Last edited:
THANK YOU Justin and the G3X team!

For fellow Mac users running machines with M1 chips, Parallels may be an option to run this application on Windows in a virtual machine until/unless Garmin releases a Mac version. If you're on an Intel chipset, you'll still have BootCamp to do the same thing.

The computer-to-transponder connection is USB (on the 45R, at least) so unless the Garmin app does something that isn't USB compliant, a Windows VM application should work. Perhaps Justin or someone else from Garmin can chime in on that.

Dave

I have an Intel based MacBook Pro and Parallels runs just fine on it...

Good Afternoon,

Justin

Hi Justin,
Considering there is no update link for the 45R, I assume this maybe coming in the future and the current link that is for 35R will not apply, correct?

Good Afternoon,

These software updates have always been available for free, but required a trip to a Garmin Authorized Dealer to perform, which was often associated with a labor charge for performing the update. The release of this tool will allow owners of these transponders to update their system software without requiring a visit to your local Garmin dealer.

This link contains a folder which includes everything that is required for the update. A detailed users guide is included in the folder which will explain how to perform the update. We recommend opening the users guide first and reviewing it closely before attempting an update. Here is an overview of the files contained in the folder:
  • GTX_3X5_Software_Loading_Tool_guide.pdf - Users Guide
  • setup_gtx.exe - Software Update Tool
  • 006-B2466-0G_0A.gca - Software GCA File
  • 2179B.pdf - Service Bulletin Document
It must be noted that the software update process on these units is sensitive to power or data interruptions. It is imperative that the software update is not disturbed while in progress. If this occurs, the unit may not be recoverable, and in that case would need to be exchanged. Out of warranty charges may apply in this case. If you do not have the means to maintain sufficient power to the unit while on the ground, we recommend continuing to use your Garmin dealer to perform these updates.

Please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions getting the tool up and running.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin any chance of the latest GCA file for the GTX45R being published please?

Regards.

Byron.

Hi Justin,
Considering there is no update link for the 45R, I assume this maybe coming in the future and the current link that is for 35R will not apply, correct?

Mehrdad,

Service Bulletin 2179 in the software download Justin provided a link to makes it quite clear that this software applies to all GTX 35R/GTX 45R/GTX 335/GTX 335R/GTX 345/GTX 345R transponders.

Steve

GTX45 Update

For those of you who have a 45 or 45R and are trying to figure out what this update will do, after a bunch of back of forth, i was pointed to the release notes for a previous version of the G3X firmware (8.91)

“FIS-B Weather Datapath - A Bluetooth connection will no longer be required to receive the full complement of FIS-B weather products from several Garmin ADS-B receivers. All weather products will now be transmitted via RS-232 to the GDU. This requires GTX software 2.60+, which is currently fielded. The GDL 5X Series and the GNX 375 will also receive a software update in the near future that will facilitate this.”

So if you update your transponder it will eliminate the need for the bluetooth connection.

Oshkosh XPDR Updates

Justin
Will you be doing upgrades to software at Oshkosh this year?

Hi Charlie,

Yes, we will be updating transponders in our booth at Oshkosh this year. Feel free to drop by!

Thanks,

Justin

GTX Software Update File

Hi Justin any chance of the latest GCA file for the GTX45R being published please?

Regards.

Byron.

That file is in the folder, that you can download at this link.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

Mehrdad,

Service Bulletin 2179 in the software download Justin provided a link to makes it quite clear that this software applies to all GTX 35R/GTX 45R/GTX 335/GTX 335R/GTX 345/GTX 345R transponders.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Unless the provided link is taking me to some other place, I am seeing this note in red.

"Notes:
This software update is intended to be loaded on GTX 3X5 Transponders only."

Or is it that 45R is part of the 3X5 family?

Hi Steve,
Unless the provided link is taking me to some other place, I am seeing this note in red.

"Notes:
This software update is intended to be loaded on GTX 3X5 Transponders only."

Or is it that 45R is part of the 3X5 family?

It says in 1.1 Terms: “The term GTX 3X5” includes all unit models.
When you download the app and look at the release notes there is a table that includes all GTX 325, 335, 345, 35R and 45R models

GTX Model List

Similar to the updates we offer for our certified Navigators, the Service Bulletin document we release alongside our transponder software update includes information related to the currently available software revision. From SB2179, which is included in the folder available for download here, this is a list of equipment for which this update can be applied:

i-b2n4qTc.jpg

Thanks,

Justin

FYI, Garmin has done 23ES updates in the past at OSH. They had a dongle— you just brought them the unit and they did the update. I’ve received 2 updates this way.

Thank you to Garmin for doing this. Free or not, I have to travel to get to a Garmin dealer and it can be a chore to get there during business hours. The current update adds something very important to me, which is getting the full ADS-B weather package on my PFD and MFD at the same time rather than making a Bluetooth connection to just one of them.

This is really great. I recently called avionics shops to update my transponder. All I got was "we're really too busy". This helps. You guys came through again.... and again....and again.

Successful Update

Got my 45R updated this morning. Very simple, followed instructions, and was happy to see all weather products received via FiS-B. Thanks Garmin!

I went to the Garmin building (seems too big to be a booth) while at AirVenture. I asked about getting my 45R updated and the guy said he hadn't heard they were doing that. We walked over to the central desk and they said they weren't doing that. I was disappointed.

None the less, I will attempt to do this myself, but I need to wire the USB to the back of the unit (as it was not installed on my harness). Is there a reason this was a USB-B instead of USB-A? My laptop doesn't have a -B and it appears I have to cut the -A end off to install the pins. It looks like -A & -B have the same 4 wires. Is the B have a better/required for some reason?

Thanks,
Don

Hi Charlie,

Yes, we will be updating transponders in our booth at Oshkosh this year. Feel free to drop by!

Thanks,

Justin

I went to the Garmin building (seems too big to be a booth) while at AirVenture. I asked about getting my 45R updated and the guy said he hadn't heard they were doing that. We walked over to the central desk and they said they weren't doing that. I was disappointed.

None the less, I will attempt to do this myself, but I need to wire the USB to the back of the unit (as it was not installed on my harness). Is there a reason this was a USB-B instead of USB-A? My laptop doesn't have a -B and it appears I have to cut the -A end off to install the pins. It looks like -A & -B have the same 4 wires. Is the B have a better/required for some reason?

Thanks,
Don
In the legacy USB world, the USB-B jack tends to be on the peripheral side while the USB-A jack tends to be on the host side. If you have a USB printer, scanner, hub, or anything else that doesn't use Micro or Mini USB plugs, you have the cord you need to go from your computer's USB-A to the GTX harness's USB-B. USB-A-to-A would be weird and harder to find a cord for.

I think I get what you are saying, but you have to cut one end of the cord anyway in order to pin it out for the D-Sub on the tray. This leaves an open USB of some variety dangling off the back of the unit. Seems to me that any 4 wires will do and a USB-A will plug directly into my laptop.

I was wondering if there was a shield issue or wire size which required a USB-B.

Thanks,
Don

In the legacy USB world, the USB-B jack tends to be on the peripheral side while the USB-A jack tends to be on the host side. If you have a USB printer, scanner, hub, or anything else that doesn't use Micro or Mini USB plugs, you have the cord you need to go from your computer's USB-A to the GTX harness's USB-B. USB-A-to-A would be weird and harder to find a cord for.

I think I get what you are saying, but you have to cut one end of the cord anyway in order to pin it out for the D-Sub on the tray. This leaves an open USB of some variety dangling off the back of the unit. Seems to me that any 4 wires will do and a USB-A will plug directly into my laptop.

I was wondering if there was a shield issue or wire size which required a USB-B.

Thanks,
Don

My GTX 45R came with a USB-B jack with four wire leads attached, so I just put pins on those and put them into the connector for the GTX. I can reach it with just the canopy of the plane open because I put the transponder on a rack between the panel and subpanel.

If you're chopping up a USB cord to do this instead, I can't think of an electrical reason you couldn't put a USB-A male plug on the plane instead of a USB-B female jack. Maybe someone will weigh in on the electrical side of things. As far as the practical side, I think it's easier to plug into a jack than to stow and unstow a cord, but it's your plane so you can decide what works for you.

That explains it. I had a shop do the panel wiring. I didn't know a USB-B connector came with the install kit. My xponder is sitting on top of the canard and is easily accessed. Going with a -A connector would require one less cable to do the updates.

Thanks,
Don

My GTX 45R came with a USB-B jack with four wire leads attached, so I just put pins on those and put them into the connector for the GTX. I can reach it with just the canopy of the plane open because I put the transponder on a rack between the panel and subpanel.

If you're chopping up a USB cord to do this instead, I can't think of an electrical reason you couldn't put a USB-A male plug on the plane instead of a USB-B female jack. Maybe someone will weigh in on the electrical side of things. As far as the practical side, I think it's easier to plug into a jack than to stow and unstow a cord, but it's your plane so you can decide what works for you.

Thread drift

Just updated my 45R today and wondered what this was for? It's a spring-loaded cover that covers nothing? Great place for the USB-B but obviously not.

Attachments

• 45R.png
    45R.png
    647 KB · Views: 120
Thanks

A little surprised a plastic cover can be pulled on after a few years of "warmer" environment conditions but I'm sure Garmin did their homework. (Still think it would have been a good location for their USB for software upgrades) :)

Process and software update went smooth. Took about five minutes to do the update. Made sure my laptop and plane battery was fully charged before the download. Also needed a USB-A to a USB-B cord in order to connect up. P.S. Thanks Garmin team….

Last edited:
February 3, 2024; just updated the software on my Garmin GTX345 experimental version using my Windows Laptop with a USB-A to USB-B (Printer) cable plugged into the update pigtail hanging just below the transponder. I first downloaded the Garmin update compressed file, which included the software updater tool, PDF instructions, and the update file. Installed the included software and opened it, connected the USB printer cable to the transponder USB-B update pigtail, turned on master switch and radios switch, made sure connection was USB and connected showing “green” to transponder in software tool, selected Automatically select update items, browsed to attach update file, and started update, watched all items install until completed message, turned off aircraft radios and master switches, unplugged USB Printer cable. Turned on aircraft master switch and radios switch to verify Garmin transponder was booting up normally.
Simple task which took about 15 minutes total including opening and connecting the laptop to the transponder!

I did read both PDF’s included in the update file download link here:

PilotMD11

Back