What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lubrication point question

Paul 5r4

Well Known Member
This may be a silly question and I think I already know the answer but hey, I'm not an expert! The points where the rudder pedals and flap actuater go through the nylon type blocks... do these points ever require any lubericating and if so what kind?
Thanks in advance!

No Need to Lubricate

Nylon is "self lubricating". In fact, using any type of oil or grease product may actually degrade the nylon. If I recall correctly, water is typically used as a lubricant during the machining of nylon, rather than an oil based product.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

The blocks may not need lubrication, but if the paint has been removed from the steel members that pass through them, these members may rust. I cleaned the light surface rust off mine, and coated the bare spots with wax.

LPS2

I lubricate those locations with LPS2, primarily to prevent the steel from rusting. It also reduces friction, not that the friction is noticeable on either the rudder pedals or the flap lever.

Anyplace with bare steel gets grease. Anytime two pieces of metal are assembled together with the option that they can come apart sometime in the future - grease. Think gear legs in weldments and such.

Carl

Anyplace with bare steel gets grease. Anytime two pieces of metal are assembled together with the option that they can come apart sometime in the future - grease. Think gear legs in weldments and such.

Carl

But in this case, two metal pieces are not coming together. It’s metal and nylon, or UHMW. Wax may work, but not sure about grease on nylon/UHMW.

Back