What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

West epoxy colorant options ?

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
What are acceptable colorant materials for West 105/micro ballon filler . I am blocking and fine tuning fiberglass components and a color would significantly aid the process.
Thanks.

I used black epoxy dye in the first layer of the windscreen lay-up, per the plans. It was available along with the other fiberglas supplies (micro balloons, cloth, etc.). Not sure what colors are available other than black, but a little bit goes a long way.

Little bit of black printer toner. Doesn't take much.

Mixed it with the resin when doing the windshield so that any reveal from the inside does not stand out.

Last edited:
Pigment

I have a bottle of black. You're welcome to it. I'll be back home in a couple weeks.
My trim was all sikaflexed so it got coated with primer. Solid black.

Graphite powder

I bought a can of West Systems graphite powder. Great for coloring and maybe a little added strength. Very handy when doing to wind screen glass. Doesn't take much to color the epoxy.

Graphite

I bought a can of West Systems graphite powder. Great for coloring and maybe a little added strength. Very handy when doing to wind screen glass. Doesn't take much to color the epoxy.

I thought graphite was not good around airplanes? Something about corrosion?

White

I bought white from West system supplier .....ratio is on bottle but takes more than one coat for coverage ....but if just for block sanding ,one coat would probably do it

Back