What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GNS 480 interface with Skyview

RV-4

Well Known Member
Hello All

I just installed a GNS 480 in my RV-4 this summer which interface with my Skyview via Serial Port and I was wondering if someone else here having the same set up could help me out..

After loading a flight plan in the 480,are you able to see the flight plan on the map ( I do ) and once you have loaded an approach if you are also able to see the approach's waypoint on the map ( I don't )

If yes to all on that, could you tell me what you had to do to make the approach waypoint showing on the map???

Any special set up I should know about or if they simply don't appeared on the map.

Thanks

Bruno

ARINC 429

Did you connect the 480 to the Skyview through an ARINC 429 module? You will need to do this for LNAV+V and LPV approaches. As for approach point names, make sure you change the Skyview map source to the 480.

The 480 is an oldie but a goody. However a Serial only connection won't get all of the features you want for the Skyview.

I had a basic harness built by Stein for my 480 to Skyview but discovered that it was missing a few wires to make the VOR/ILS work properly. Later I needed to add/splice into my intercom harness to get 480 audio signals for approaches. I've attached the two modified wire diagrams for my 480-Skyview-PM3000 setup. Yours may vary. You will need high-density pins for some of the connections.

Attachments

• Stein Visio wiring - 2020 Update.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Stein wiring - PM3000 GNS 480.pdf
    394.3 KB · Views: 68
Hi Mark

Yes the 480 is connected to the Skyview through an ARINC 429 module?

It does work just fine but I just don't see the approach waypoints on the Skyview map when I load the approach in the 480..

The flight plan is there but this is it...It is not a biggy but it would be nice to see all the waypoints on the map even if it is just for situation awareness.
------------------------------
Hi John

I still have your wiring harness diagram that you sent me. I might have to go thru it and mine again to see if I forgot something

Thank you both for your inputs

Bruno

Map source

Did you verify the map source is your 480? This is different than HSI source which also directs your autopilot.

Map source

Yes I did but I will check again tomorrow when practicing approaches..

Thanks

Bruno
-----------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Well I did verified the Map Source on my last few flights and every time the Skyview had reverted to its own map( If that makes sense ) I don't know why but if I manually select the GNS-480 in FLT Plan, it does shown all the waypoints on the map. So on future flights, I'll just make sure that it is on the proper map source setting and everything will be fine..

Thank you all for your feedbacks..

Last edited:
Back