Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 12-10-2022, 10:13 AM

EGT / CHT gremlins that were traced to bad splicing has made me a believer in the EI WIRE OVERLAP CONNECTOR / SPLICE OLC-2 for that particular application.

Super-8 bought flying
Old 12-10-2022, 10:33 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
EGT / CHT gremlins that were traced to bad splicing has made me a believer in the EI WIRE OVERLAP CONNECTOR / SPLICE OLC-2 for that particular application.

Yep. Yep. These nylon barrel overlap connectors with set screws are my favorite too for EGT/CHT probes and any other signal splices under the cowl. EI developed these after years of complaints about the original spade connectors. Most electronic engine instrumentation problems can be narrowed down to bad or intermittent connections. These EI overlap connectors will eliminate a lot of that as long as installed per instructions. EI puts them in all their modern engine monitor kits and will sell a package of just connectors to anybody who wants to retrofit whatever brand of existing probes they have.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ashby View Post
Dave and Jim,

I think I am sold on the Deutch connectors. Would either of these be a good connector kit to start?

https://theelectricaldepot.com/deuts...-connector-kit

Also, I have the Stein barrel pin crimper. Would that work, or is it worth it to get the Deutch crimper?

Thanks!
Steve. I don't have a Stein barrel crimper so my answer is perhaps. I bought a third party Deutsch compatible closed barrel connector tool from Amazon. I also bought a used Astro rotating barrel tools (positioners built in on a rotisserie). I started to use that too so I could keep my nice Daniels crimpers for avionic pins only. Both of those have adjustable crimp setting based on connector size. Online auction sites with have new and used Deutsch crimpers and a quick perusal just now showed many in the $40 range.
Old 12-10-2022, 02:31 PM

Quote:
I think I am sold on the Deutsch connectors. Would either of these be a good connector kit to start?
Ordering a DTM kit might not be a bad idea. Each connector needs maie and female shells and pins plus the wedges and silicone plugs that secure and seal the pins once they're inserted in the shells. You'll get all those with the kit. I ordered piecemeal and wound up short a part or two on a few occasions.

Quote:
Also, I have the Stein barrel pin crimper. Would that work, or is it worth it to get the Deutch crimper?
It's been a few years since I bought the crimper, but I'm reasonably sure that this is the one I purchased for larger (>20 ga) DT connector pins -

https://theelectricaldepot.com/deuts...reenlee-p-1033

You'll find it cheaper on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.com/Paladin-PA146.../dp/B0848FPFCW

For smaller (20-22 ga) DTM pins, I used my Daniels crimper with a dSub turret but you can find a cheaper tool at SteinAir -

https://www.steinair.com/product/4-way-indent-crimper/

Hope this helps -

Dave
RV-7 N701ED Flying!
Nashua, NH (KASH) / Plymouth, NH (1P1)

Last edited by Thermos : 12-10-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:10 PM

Default THANK YOU!

I knew you guys would have great advice.
Thanks!
RV-8A
YIO-360 180 hp Lycoming
Hartzell Blended Airfoil Prop
Engine Hung
Old 12-11-2022, 09:26 AM

Default Terminal Block

Since the Dynon EMS sensors need a common 5V, I put a terminal block next to the Van's sensor manifold. Kept all the 5V and Ground connections together, and made connecting the sensor wires from the Dynon bundle simpler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor Terminal Block.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	35009  
Old 12-11-2022, 12:00 PM

interesting...reading this thread I keep going back to terminal blocks in my mind
but I never have cared for those crimped connections for the eye rings (or any other connections)
I keep remembering the din rail mounted terminal blocks used in the industrial power feed and control cabinets I used to work on for work. Some of those terminal were pretty slick the way they were designed...super easy to get a great connection, super easy to troubleshoot and modify down the road. Bound to be some of them able to stand up to the dynamic rigors needed for some of these connections I would think??