What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hanger Situation in San Diego

Prof D

Sponsor
Looks like I'll be moving to San Diego by the end of the year. Hoping to get some information about the availability of hangers in San Diego. I'd prefer to base out of Gillespie or Montgomery, but willing to go anywhere I can find a hanger.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hanger Situation in San Diego?

It's not good. You'll prolly find there is a waiting list everywhere and I'd be shocked if you can find a hangar at the two airports you mentioned. Brown Field might be your best choice but I'll let others chime in.

Good luck, I hope I'm wrong.

Hanger Situation in San Diego?

It's not good. You'll prolly find there is a waiting list everywhere and I'd be shocked if you can find a hangar at the two airports you mentioned. Brown Field might be your best choice but I'll let others chime in.

Good luck, I hope I'm wrong.

Right; I’d suggest getting on the hangar wait list at Brown & Ramona especially, as those are the two airports that you are most likely to have some success at within the next year or so. The others are estimated to be 2+ years wait listed.

I got lucky and was able to find a hangar in less than a year. I got offers for hangars at two airports that are close together, KRAL and KAJO, roughly at the same time. I thought I won a lottery. One of the guys on the field recommended that I should contact the hangar managers or owners on the regular basis so they know I am still interested in hangars. Usually, the waiting list is very long and people signed up on multiple waiting lists. This also means the hangar manager knows the next guy on the list either already got a hangar or isn't ready to move in.

I called up the hangar manager and let them know the status of my project and to make sure that I am serious about hangar rental. After I finished painting my plane, the hangar manager worked around the waiting list to get me into one. Some recommended talking to the people already on the field for information but I found this technique didn't work out very well. Calling the airport managers and hangar managers on a regular basis worked better for me.

San Diego is an aviator's paradise. Also RV's are everywhere and no shortage of enthusiastic like minded people to fly with. I was at Montgomery for 3 years, was a good place to be, location location. My taxi was literally one mile, tires suffered!

I do remember the bulletin board at Gibbs flying service sometimes had hangar share's advertised, so maybe you could call them and have the person at the counter take a look.

Thanks for the info everyone. I was afraid that that would be the situation... I'll be calling all the airport managers today to get on waiting lists.

Please let me know if anyone knows someone who wants to share a hanger.

Ryan

I do not know how up to date it is, but link below from Gillespie Field website on who to contact for the various hangars on the field and around the county. I am in El Cajon Flying Service area, on the South-West area of the field. I know it is not ideal, but there are many outside tie downs available at Gillespie.

Typically Ramona has a shorter wait list. Pacific Executive are good people.

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/dpw/airports/airportsmain/hangar.html

E

Hangars are available... you just have to call around a bit.

I ended up calling most of the contacts in the link on Ethand's last post. It took a few hours and I got on several waiting lists. One of these people referred me to a company not on the list who had an opening. The end result is that I was able to find a hangar on the east side Gillespie.

Funny enough, I got a call from one of the waiting lists as I was preflighting my plane to make the move to Gillespie. So, I guess there are openings available if you talk to enough people.

Ryan

Sweet. That is good to hear and I think you will really like KSEE. Prolly my favorite airport in SD county. Congrat's

Back