What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New owner - assorted hardware to have handy?

dbier99

Well Known Member
My son and I just bought an RV6A. During the pre-buy inspection we noted that one of the screws was missing from a wheel pant as well as from the trim piece that wraps around the tail/vertical stabilizer (sorry don't know many parts names yet). I also realized that in addition to replacing these screws (which I assume should be AN rated?) that I should pick up some extras of these and other commonly used hardware (e.g. cowling screws, washers etc.) to have handy.
I was hoping Vans might offer an assortment pack - but haven't seen them. Would love to get some part and size suggestions of assorted hardware to keep in the hanger toolbox.

My son and I just bought an RV6A. During the pre-buy inspection we noted that one of the screws was missing from a wheel pant as well as from the trim piece that wraps around the tail/vertical stabilizer (sorry don't know many parts names yet). I also realized that in addition to replacing these screws (which I assume should be AN rated?) that I should pick up some extras of these and other commonly used hardware (e.g. cowling screws, washers etc.) to have handy.
I was hoping Vans might offer an assortment pack - but haven't seen them. Would love to get some part and size suggestions of assorted hardware to keep in the hanger toolbox.

I was you a couple of years ago.

You need an assortment of screws, but I would start with some AN-screws in #6, #8 and #10 sizes in a variety of lengths, both countersunk and truss head.

Aircraft Spruce DOES sell an assortment kit, but you will end up with a decent amount of stuff you don't need.

Some AN-3 and AN-4 bolts in various grips/lengths from Vans, and assorted washers. NAS screws are tougher and nice to have. McMaster and Spruce both sell.

Assortment of nylock and stop nuts as well.

Get good screwdrivers now. JIS-tipped are nice. Wera makes outstanding stuff at decent prices.

Other stuff I've found absolutely necessary:

• GOOD (not the cheapo from Harbor Freight) Safety Wire Pliers
  • Assortment of needlenose pliers
  • Giant bag of microfiber cloths
  • Good portable light/flashlights
  • Tinnermann (sp?) washers
  • Inspection mirror

First off congratulations on the new plane. Enjoy!

If you head to Vans website you can order a thumb drive with the 6/6a plans on it for you. Part # FD Plans RV-6/6a. If you poke around on them you'll get a feel for the hardware used in the interior and normal wearing items.

Make a list of things you'll want to have on hand and then when planning a service it will allow you to foresee what you might need ahead of time.

Plus the plans will allow you to see the inner workings of how your plane was constructed, if according to plans.

All the best.
Arnie

Rules of thumb -
If screw driver slots gets worn - change it
If screw gets hard to turn out (threads galling) - change it
Stainless Steel screws wear out quicker than cad plated ones
these quantities might be good to have on hand for maintenance reasons, you might like some of these in longer lengths too

ACS part#s
20- MS24693-S28 #6 1/2" equivalent to AN507 countersunk screws
50- MS24693-S50 #8 1/2"
20- MS24693-C28 #6 1/2 Stainless steel countersunk screws
50- MS24693-C50 #8 1/2
20- 04-00397 #6 dimpled washers (Tinnerman type)
20- 04-00392 #8 " "
50- MS35206-245 pan head screws #8 1/2" equivalent to AN515

Stop in my shop

Stop in my shop and I’ll give you a starter set of things you will need.
RV Central located on Hicks airfield T67.Hanger #584

Stop in my shop and I’ll give you a starter set of things you will need.
RV Central located on Hicks airfield T67.Hanger #584
Actually, my brother lives in North Richland Hills, TX and I've flown into Hicks before and we are planning to fly the RV down there this Fall - so you may actually see me! :) If I do get down there I'd be happy to buy a starter set of whatever you suggest. By the way - is there still a great airport restaurant at Hicks?

The only thing I would add to the others' lists would be an assortment of cotter pins. There are only a handful of sizes that are used on an RV, so you don't need to go overboard. Just don't fall into the trap of trying to reuse an old one, as that's not a good practice.

Back