What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for interesting planes and stories

RogerW

I'm New Here
Hello,

I'm a new pilot (just passed my checkride in June!).

I've had something on my mind for a while. I used to make a vlog and I follow all the normal people (Trent, Cory, Mike Patey, Flightchops, etc). However, I'm wanting to do something different.

One of my favorite car sites is Petrolicious. Why? Because each film is a love story between the car and it's owner. Beautifully shot and with great cars and great stories.

Why can't aviation have something similar? We have lots of interesting aircraft and great people who love them.

As for me, I'm 55 and finally getting my license after having family and life prevent me. After my son passed away from cancer, I started vlogging to help me heal. I haven't been as busy lately because I really have been looking for something I really want to shoot.

I want to restart my filmmaking by starting on this project. This is truly just a passion project on my part. However, I need subjects. I'm looking for interesting aircraft and stories. As I've been learning, RV people have a special love for their planes.

Shooting an episode will probably take a day or two. If you would like to help, have an interesting story to tell, or own and interesting aircraft that you would like to share with the community, please message me. I'm in VA, so I would like to start closer to home, but let's hear the stories. In addition to films, the site will also have articles.

It's called "Aviatist - for the love of flying".

Oh, I'm also planning to get an RV6 next year. My first tailwheel lesson is this Saturday!

Thanks,
Roger Wyatt

Culpeper KCJR

Culpeper airport has some interesting airplanes and VERY nice people.
Message me and I'll pass along cell #
Dave

Sounds interesting!

You will likely get a bunch of stories from this site, as the passion for aviation and friends made in the RV community is phenomenal. I would be glad to share our story with you about my wife and I getting married in our RV-4 while flying over our home field a mile high.

Book your flight to Oshkosh - you will find a lifetime of interesting people and aircraft there.

I think an aviation channel that recreates what VinWiki has for cars would be amazing. I know there's some wild stories out there just waiting to be told

One of my favorite car sites is Petrolicious. Why? Because each film is a love story between the car and it's owner. Beautifully shot and with great cars and great stories.
Thanks,
Roger Wyatt

I love the Petrolicious channel, with a lot of interesting automobiles and the stories behind them. I think there are a whole lot more car people than airplane people, but I think there are some overlap. The only guy who I think do the job well is FlightChop but his channel is very different than Petrolicious. There was at least one similar attempt with the cable show Aviators but it has a much higher production content and associated production cost. I am very interested in watching the aviation version of Petrolicious.

I love the Petrolicious channel, with a lot of interesting automobiles and the stories behind them. I think there are a whole lot more car people than airplane people, but I think there are some overlap. The only guy who I think do the job well is FlightChop but his channel is very different than Petrolicious. There was at least one similar attempt with the cable show Aviators but it has a much higher production content and associated production cost. I am very interested in watching the aviation version of Petrolicious.

I follow FlightChop and he does do a good job filming and telling about his own journey. Agree that there are WAAAAY more car people than plane people but there are a lot of very interesting planes and people that love them.

Roger

There are lots of great airplane channels on youtube such as Flightchops and Trent Palmer to name just a couple, but all of them tend to be more about experiences of the personality. None are about the love and mystery of the aircraft itself. The thing about Peteolicious films is that they are emotional leaving you with lingering lust, luck, and want.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but enthusiasts relate to cars, motorcycles, boats differently than an aviation enthusiast. A car, motorcycle, boat...these are things easily objectified with great artistic attributes and mystique. Oooh, see the curves on that E-type? It's not that this can't happen with planes, but Airplanes tend to be more about the technology, pilot and mission rather than the passion and beauty of the thing.

Please just don't be MojoGrip. He gets as much wrong as he gets right, and that's probably generous. I do have a lot of respect for his journey as a person and as a pilot, but I have seen some horrendous, (and occasionally very dangerous), examples being set by that guy. A lot of his audience seem to be neophytes who do not yet realize that they need to apply good judgement to the content on his channel or any other.

Last edited:
Back