What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying the GrandKids!?

dwschaefer

Ok .. I see lots of pictures on the home page of Grandkids' first flight. What's the consensus as to the age for the 'first flight'? I've seen some parents flying some younger kids .. how do you get them to keep the headset on?

Thanks..

DWS
RV6-A N142DS
www.n142ds.com

Ok .. I see lots of pictures on the home page of Grandkids' first flight. What's the consensus as to the age for the 'first flight'? I've seen some parents flying some younger kids .. how do you get them to keep the headset on?

Thanks..

DWS
RV6-A N142DS
www.n142ds.com

We are using Peltor http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/search.php for the boy, we put them on in the house like a game, at first he would push them right off but after a while he was leaving them on for 5 or 10 minutes then for an hour, then we were off to the airport. It only took a few days of home practice.

my grandson was 5 in a 172. They need to be able to see out and understand yes and no.

In the RV, I take the stick out for youngsters.

my grandson was 5 in a 172. They need to be able to see out and understand yes and no.

In the RV, I take the stick out for youngsters.
Really?
8 Mo.
Goin' to see Grandma in style...
Got Woody, got binky, got blankey, got Woody bottle, got ears, good to go Grandpa ...
Slept most all the way to ktcy from kmcc...

Goin' to see Grandma in style... by dntanderson, on Flickr

1:45 by car ... :25 by RV ... easy choice :D

2 years
Breakfast at 29er Diner

2012-01-29_11-09-35_122.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr

2012-01-29_11-35-39_44.jpg by dntanderson, on Flickr
Grandma had to hitch a ride in a 172...

Last edited:
I guest if you bundle them as baggage, there is no problem. To enjoy and have fun with them while traveling I prefer older.

Grand Kids

Well, my experience was good with an average size 5 year old grandson.

"Papa has to talk to you so keep the headset on and the mic in this position". Standard David Clark headset.

The standard Van's booster seat worked but a little taller one (or two standard ones) would have been better. I have a removable right seat stick but only put it in after I was confident he wouldn't freak out and pull the ""wing removal lever".

6q89qh.jpg

Back