What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navworx Help

brian2915

Can anyone who's successfully installed an ADS600-B tell me how you connected to your computer for setup? My harness was built by Stein, so I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct. I've tried three different USB to RS232 cables. When I connect my computer to the service port, I just get a bunch of random symbols and beeps. I've repeatedly tried to contact Navworx, but their legendary customer service continues. Thanks.

Brian

Can anyone who's successfully installed an ADS600-B tell me how you connected to your computer for setup? My harness was built by Stein, so I'm pretty sure the wiring is correct. I've tried three different USB to RS232 cables. When I connect my computer to the service port, I just get a bunch of random symbols and beeps. I've repeatedly tried to contact Navworx, but their legendary customer service continues. Thanks.

Brian

First rule, don't assume. Stein's guys do good work, but they can make a mistake. Validate that the computer port is wired correctly.

Use a tool like putty or some other terminal emulator to validate that the serial post is communicating with the ads600b. If you can't get one of these working, then you'll need another serial device to validate that the usb device is working

... When I connect my computer to the service port, I just get a bunch of random symbols and beeps ...

Brian,

I don't have any specific knowledge of Navworx but "random symbols and beeps" is the classic indication of the wrong baud rate on one end of the serial link. Can you select the baud rate at either the computer side or the Navworx side so both are the same? Some good ones to try are 4800, 9600, and 19,200.

--
Joe

You might try downloading teraterm which is the program bill used to recommend. It's default was 115200bps.

Another thing to check is to ensure that the USB device is presenting itself as com1:

You need the .EXE from Navworx. They don't use a terminal emulator any longer. There is a configuration program. Give them a call and they will give your the download link. I use an OLD USB to Serial cable (2004'ish) and it works just fine on my Macbook.

The .EXE is cool, it looks up your "N" number and fills in all the codes and allows you to completely configure the unit as well as see what it's doing.

Regards,

DWS

Back